• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket. Please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hazel22

Illinois

Unfortunately I received a speeding ticket for going 47 in a 35 zone. That was downhill in Lake Forest. I don't live in Lake Forest.

For some reason an officer didn't mark preprinted boxes in a " violation " part, but instead marked " local ordinance " in the last lane of that part and filled out " ch. " 40 " act " 1 "/sec" 601(c).

Somebody know what does that mean or what should I do?

Or recomend me an attorney?

Thank's.

FlyingRon

There's a FIND ATTORNEYS link at the top of these pages. Alternatively get out the yellow pages and look up the local bar association in the munincipality you were charged in and ask for a list of lawyers in that specialty.

What defense are you considering? Just because you don't live there doesn't mean you can speed with impunity.

As for the code reference:

Sec. 40-1-601. General speed restrictions.
(c) No person may drive a vehicle in Lake Forest on any highway on Schedule I at a speed greater
than provided therein provided appropriate signs giving notice of the limits are erected.

Schedule 1 pretty much lists every street in town.

CdwJava

Here is the section fopr which you have been cited:

Sec. 40-1-601. General speed restrictions.
(a) No vehicle may be driven upon any highway in Lake
Forest at a speed which is greater than is reasonable and proper with regard to traffic conditions and the
use of the highway, or endangers the safety of any person or property. The fact that the speed of a
vehicle does not exceed the applicable maximum speed limit does not relieve the driver from the duty to
decrease speed when approaching and crossing an intersection, when approaching and going around a
curve, when approaching a hill crest, when traveling upon any harrow or winding roadway, or when special
hazard exists with respect to pedestrians or other traffic or by reason of weather or highway conditions.
Speed must be decreased as may be necessary to avoid colliding with any person or vehicle on or
entering the highway in compliance with legal requirements and the duty of all persons to use due care.

(b) No person may drive a vehicle upon any highway in any residence district (such highways
are hereby delineated on the map attached hereto and made a part hereof as Exhibit "A") in Lake
Forest at a speed greater than 25 MPH or in an alley or parking lot at a speed greater than 15 MPH
except as provided in Schedule I of this section. (Ord. No. 93-17, Sec. 1).

(c) No person may drive a vehicle in Lake Forest on any highway on Schedule I at a speed greater
than provided therein provided appropriate signs giving notice of the limits are erected.​
- Carl

[Edit] Dang! Rn beat me to it!

hazel22

Dear Carl:
I have only one more question for you - how come you was able to find an explanation to the Lake County, Illinois code from California?
If that's not a very big secret?
Thank's.

racer72

You mean the internet crosses state lines now? The next thing you know you will be able to visit the internet in places like Europe and Japan without getting on an airplane.

FlyingRon

You mean the internet crosses state lines now? The next thing you know you will be able to visit the internet in places like Europe and Japan without getting on an airplane.
Oooh, they have the internet on computers now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">