• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket plus no proof of insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

newtonnjd

What is the name of your state? Located in TX, ticket received in AR

Hi everyone,

I received a ticket on my way home from a road trip in Arkansas, doing 70 in a 55 zone. I do not deny that I was speeding - it was an almost deserted road and we were trying to get home in good time for new year's eve.

Unfortunately I'd forgotten to change the insurance card before leaving on the trip so the cop got me for that too. The policy was already renewed and I have proof that it was active at the time of the ticket. I am hoping that mailing in proof of coverage will get me off that part of the violation?

However I am unsure how to proceed. I had one previous speeding ticket a couple of years ago and used a $40 law firm. I just mailed them the ticket and didn't have to do anything else. I don't know if I could do that again given the insurance violation that's also on the ticket - and also I can't seem to locate any law firms that handle citations in the area.

The other issue is that I am soon moving out of the country, probably in March. What would happen to an unresolved citation at that point? The court date is set for end of Feb, but I would really like to avoid travelling across a whole state for that.

If I could just pay the speeding part and clear the insurance part without going to court that would be okay, though of course reducing the speeding part as well without going to court would be better.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

newtonnjd

I know not every post is going to get a response but I would be very grateful if I could atleast know whether having proof of active insurance at the time of the ticket will be enough to clear me of the insurance offense?

newtonnjd

Thank you Curt.

It will cost $50 in gas just to drive to the court, but I suppose it will be worth it.

On my previous citation received in Fort Worth TX it gave me only 10 days I believe to either appear at the courthouse or to mail in the ticket. But on this one, all it has is a court date for Feb 28th and nothing about needing a response before that. Can I assume that acting quickly on this one isn't necessary if I intend to show up in court?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">