• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket with possible errors?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

enlistedman

Speeding ticket with wrong name,address,d/l number.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TEXAS
Greetings to all and thank you in advance for anyone taking the time to answer.

My friend was pulled for speeding and issued a ticket, but the officer mistakenly transposed someone elses details instead of hers onto the ticket, i.e. date and licence plate are correct, but name, address and drivers licence number are from a completely different person altogether, as in not just a few typos. Where does my friend stand in such a situation in regards to the the ticket being valid?

Kindest regards,

enlisted man

Last edited:

The Occultist

My guess (and this truly is a guess since I know absolutely nothing about Texas law), is that if your friend tries to get the ticket thrown out based on the factors you described, the ticket can be reissued because your friend was never truly charged (you know, since the name was incorrect, and all that), so your friend should go to court with a defense that is not related to the inaccuracies on the ticket that you described.

enlistedman

Occultist, thanks for a prompt reply, following a little more research I found this on Google Answers.. Google Answers: Texas traffic citation law which actually relates to Traffic Law in Texas. (I wish research was this productive when i'm conducting it at 3am!)

Near the end, the replier (claiming two decades working in law enforcement) lists a number of different types of potential errors to be found on tickets, and my friend's situation seems to come under "Identity Errors".

He further opines that "(These) errors are not so easily or frequently overlooked because they play an instrumental role in the issuance of the ticket in the first
place..." whereas simple clerical/grammatical mistakes are sometimes given leeway, seeing as we ARE all human and typos happen.

It looks like it depends whether the officer double-checks his paperwork and changes the mistake accordingly on his original ticket in the meantime.

I'd read anyone's views on the aforementioned with interest and appreciation, and hope it serves to help others also.

Kind regards,

enlisted man.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">