• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket - prayer for judgment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JH05

What is the name of your state? NC

What exactly is a prayer of judgment, and what's the procedure for asking for it?

I got a speeding ticket going 80 in 65 zone. My last ticket was over 5 years ago.

The officer was nice(!), told me I could get it reduced to less than 75 in front of the judge. Do I need an attorney to ask the judge to reduce the charge?

How hard is it to represent oneself in front of a judge? Is it worth trying to save $125 of attorney fees?

Thanks in advance.

wirry1422

No, you definitly do not need to hire an attorney for this ticket. You simply need to follow the instructions on the ticket for pleading not guilty. When you show up at the initial court appearance, the prosecutor will call your name in the hall and will offer you to plead down the charge to a lessor offense in exchange for a guilty plea. When you go in front of the judge you will plead guilty and the lessor offense will be entered into record. Then you just stop by the clerks window and pay the reduced fine. Simple as that, and no lawyer is neccessary.

rainyseason73

I'm in a very similar situation right now also in NC, and the way it's been explained to me is just like what whirry said. However, if you can't strike a deal with the prosecutor (which it sounds like you probably can, most likely to improper equipment or some other lesser charge that doesn't carry points) then you can use your prayer for judgment, which you would have to ask for from the judge, not the prosecutor. The way I understand it, Prayer for Judgment is unique to NC (Only NC would bring the word prayer into traffic laws), some people have told me that you need to be a NC license holder and you only get one every three years, and for your first offense. The result is that the points don't go on your record and I think you have to pay the court cost but not the fine, but I'm not sure about that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">