• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding ticket question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rb213

What is the name of your state? NY

I am 17 years old and I just got my first speeding ticket today driving upstate

I will admit I was going over the speed limit but was driving reasonably and with traffic (I know still illegal)

The ticket however says I was going 90 mph

The person in front of me was going faster than I was and when the officer pulled out I thought for sure that he was going after him as I was going in the 70s on cruise control and this person was I believe going at least 90 (though he braked hard when he saw the cop)

The ticket says the speed was verified by radar gun and I am wondering if it is at all possible that the car in front of me got clocked and I received the ticket for his speed?

The ticket says the speed was verified by radar gun and I am wondering if it is at all possible that the car in front of me got clocked and I received the ticket for his speed?
Yes - it is possible- radar has a very wide beam... that is why the experts say to use it only on vehicles "in front and in the clear"

It is in fact highly likely that the car in fromt of you caused the reading...

basic operator training:
"Observed vehicle was out front (Chapter 2.2), by itself, nearest the
radar during readings (Chapter 5.3)."

rb213

Thank you but what should I say?

I have no evidence that it was the car in front of me so right now its just my word against his.

Is there anything I can do to strengthen my case and if not is it even worth contesting? (the court is like 5 hours away from my house)

HomeGuru

Thank you but what should I say?

I have no evidence that it was the car in front of me so right now its just my word against his.

Is there anything I can do to strengthen my case and if not is it even worth contesting? (the court is like 5 hours away from my house)
**A: does not seem that you even have a case.

rb213

I realize that I have no real case I just do not know what to do in this situation.

I wouldn't even try to get out of it if I was guilty but I really don't feel like having a 90 mile an hour speeding ticket on my record when I simply was not going that speed.

Maybe if I agreed to plead guilty to a lower speed? (because I was going around 75-78 in a 65 at the time) or if I agreed to take driving courses or something?

any help is appreciated

allenou812

I just got back from trying a case where I was supposedly clocked at 80 in a 65 in PA. It was the officers word against mine. I went in and the judge basically just knocked it down to 70, no points, without hearing any evidence. (This was written up in my thread above). My advice - if you really were not going that fast, go the the hearing and make them work for it. In your case, I would hire a lawyer. I am a lawyer so I just did it on my own. I actually think judges want to knock off points because if they do enough of it, it could help them get re-ellected. But don't quote me on that.

acgarlick

If it was me, I would say not guilty and when they ask you to explain say that you were only doing whatever you were doing and that the radar gun must have picked up on the guy ahead of you who you know of was going faster. If there was anyone else in the car with you than you should have him vouch that the guy ahead of you was going faster. The worst case scenario is they give you what they wrote the ticket for, your always better off fighting it.

Of course dress nicely and be respectful. Yes your honor, No your honor.

acgarlick

In my opinion, you should always go to court and choose one of the three options (guilty, guilty with explanation, or not guilty). Maybe guilty with explanation would work well because you are guilty but not that guilty. lol

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">