• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drco

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello all, I am planning on contesting a speeding ticket. In addition to confirmation of proper use of the radar speed detection, I just remembered something else that may be important and I thought possibly could provide grounds for dismissal.

The officer told me at the scene that he reported the speed on the ticket differently from what the speed on the radar told him. His reasoning was to do this in order to lower the infraction penalty.

Is this a crucial point or does it not make a difference?

Thanks for any help

racer72

Is this a crucial point or does it not make a difference?
It will make no differance at all. The radar used by police officers is a tool used to confirm the officer's suspicion that you were speeding. The officer was just giving you a break. He may not be happy to see you in court.

I_Got_Banned

The officer told me at the scene that he reported the speed on the ticket differently from what the speed on the radar told him. His reasoning was to do this in order to lower the infraction penalty.
Let's take it a step further and assume that you were found guilty. What happens if the judge decides to further reduce your fine, because he felt sorry for you?

Are you going to appeal your case based on the fact that you want to pay the full fine?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">