• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding ticket question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HelpinMN

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? mn

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, so here goes.
My wife got pulled over tonight and he gave her a ticket for going 64 in a 55. The weird thing is the cop only filled out like half the ticket, most notably he didn't put his name or a court date on it. Now she knows that she was probably going 64 (even though its lame that he pulled her over when she has people riding her bumper practically the entire time during her commute for doing so) but is the fact that he didn't fully complete it grounds to get it dismissed? Or how can she even find out when she can go fight it? Or how can she even find out how much to send in? She said the cop basically came back plopped the ticket in her lap and said to drive safely.

And I know she was speeding and deserved the ticket, but hey she's got to at least try to get out of it.

asiny

I will post it when I get back into town on wednesday, thanks for the help.
Before you post it- what information was completed?
Is there a way to contact the court? (there is either a telephone number, website or address.. or all three).
There is a citation # on the ticket- give it a few days to 1 week- then contact the court and request further information;
a) if a court appearance is required?
if yes;
b) what is the court date?
if no;
c) what is the date your wife would need to respond to the ticket by?
d) what are the possible fine/costs/points associated with the ticket?
(even though its lame that he pulled her over when she has people riding her bumper practically the entire time during her commute for doing so)
If your wife goes to court- don't make reference to this. As she could have slowed to a legal speed forcing the traffic to go around her and/or back off.

Talk with your wife. Ask her if the officer said HOW it was discovered she was speeding? Is how she was discovered speeding on the ticket? What- within reasonable verbatim- did the officer say to her and what was her responses?

Last edited:

HelpinMN

re

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/215/ticketbn.jpg

He just walked up and asked her how fast she thought she was going and she said 65, he just said "no you were going 70".

She is frustrated because she has gotten pulled over 3 or 4 times in a week for a broken tail light. she cant fix it without me and I work 150 miles away during the week. She tells the trooper this but they just keep pulling her over in the same spot every day.

She has no real plans to fight it unless there is some reason she can just get it dismissed because otherwise she has to take a day off of work which would cost just as much as the ticket, and if she doesn't get it dismissed she is out double.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
She is frustrated because she has gotten pulled over 3 or 4 times in a week for a broken tail light. she cant fix it without me and I work 150 miles away during the week. She tells the trooper this but they just keep pulling her over in the same spot every day.
Let me translate (and it may help you understand it from the officer's point of view):

Your wife continues to operate a vehicle with malfunctioning equipment despite being officially notified about it REPEATEDLY. This shows an utter disregard for the law...

Zigner

There is enough information on the ticket to allow the officer to be identified. Furthermore, the box is not checked that states a court appearance is mandatory. I suspect your wife will receive something in the mail.

As for the other unfilled portions of the ticket...those are for additional offenses. Your wife is only charged with one offense. I guess she lucked out on that taillight this time.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The weird thing is the cop only filled out like half the ticket, most notably he didn't put his name or a court date on it.
That's an exaggeration.

Only the printed name is missing. There is no court date because a court appearance is not required.

Since it's computer printed maybe the name is not necessary - it DOES have his badge number.

HelpinMN

Re

It's still a little bit of a dick move to keep pulling someone over for the same offense when she told them when it will be fixed. I could see if it was a safety thing but the jetta has 4 tail light bulbs in addition to a light bar in the window, and only one of the bulbs is out so it's just dimmer then the other one.

But I appreciate the answer, I just wish they would scale back the cops in these rural areas because all they do is write tickets. There is no real crime that matters up here.

Zigner

It's still a little bit of a dick move to keep pulling someone over for the same offense when she told them when it will be fixed.
Seems to me that the one that shows utter disregard for the law is the bigger...well, you know...

There is enough information on the ticket to allow the officer to be identified.
This is not correct. Station # and badge number is not enough. The officer's name may be mandated under the law. The OP should check this out.

Badge #s are not identification numbers. And the OP should know just by looking at the paperwork who the officer is so that the OP can depose or subpoena the cop to the hearing.

Someone who wants to post that badge #s id's the cop, post a cite...you will not find one...because they are not.

To the OP: if they don't post a cite regarding the badge #/ID issue, that means that they cannot but just want to post their opinion, which is not fact.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

She has no real plans to fight it unless there is some reason she can just get it dismissed because otherwise she has to take a day off of work which would cost just as much as the ticket, and if she doesn't get it dismissed she is out double.
Up to you if you wish to ask the case to be dismissed or ask for the ticket to be stricken from the record & follow up with a motion for summary judgement. I think you have a good chance of winning.

The ticket is likely not a valid ticket --- chk your rules to insure ('cause you would have to know & plead this fact anyway).

Lazy cop....writes invalid ticket...see it every day. Most folks just let it slide because "they want to prove they are guilty" .. and then they cry about losing their case.

Zigner

This is not correct. Station # and badge number is not enough. The officer's name may be mandated under the law. The OP should check this out.

Badge #s are not identification numbers. And the OP should know just by looking at the paperwork who the officer is so that the OP can depose or subpoena the cop to the hearing.

Someone who wants to post that badge #s id's the cop, post a cite...you will not find one...because they are not.

To the OP: if they don't post a cite regarding the badge #/ID issue, that means that they cannot but just want to post their opinion, which is not fact.
Feel free to post the requirements that back up your claim.

asiny

It's still a little bit of a dick move to keep pulling someone over for the same offense when she told them when it will be fixed.
Yes, because obviously each time your wife has been stopped- she had the problem fixed, right?
If your wife is driving a car that is in clear violation- especially after receiving more than 1 warning (and more tickets)- here's a tip. Get it fixed immediately. Don't pass go- Don't collect $200- if you can't get the work done, tell her to take the car to an auto-repair shop and get the work done immediately.

Anyone else notice that the driver was also cited for failing to present valid insurance documentation to the officer?

sandyclaus

...She is frustrated because she has gotten pulled over 3 or 4 times in a week for a broken tail light. she cant fix it without me and I work 150 miles away during the week. She tells the trooper this but they just keep pulling her over in the same spot every day...
...It's still a little bit of a dick move to keep pulling someone over for the same offense when she told them when it will be fixed. I could see if it was a safety thing but the jetta has 4 tail light bulbs in addition to a light bar in the window, and only one of the bulbs is out so it's just dimmer then the other one...
Really?

Why is it that YOU must be present in order for your wife to get the taillight repaired? You act as if you are the only one who can do it for her, or that you MUST be present when it is repaired. Is she mentally disabled? Is she incapable of handling a simple task of hiring someone to repair the light in your absence? She didn't need to know how to do it herself, she just needed to know how to use a phone to call a mechanic to do it for her.

I think it is a bit of a copout to try to blame the cops for constantly pulling her over for this broken taillight when it is your wife who is at fault. There is no reason after the first ticket she received that she could not have taken the car to a dealer or mechanic and had them change out the lightbulbs. There is no reason she needed to wait for you to be there to do it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">