• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PleaseHelpMe3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Fellow people,
Hope you're having a good day. Here is my story:
I was driving back from the airport after having dropped off a friend there - I was driving her car (2001 Volvo with TX plates) and I was stopped by a cop for doing 79mph in a 65mph zone. I didn't realize I was going faster than I should have since I was in a different car and everything. Anyhow here is what happened.
The officer came up to me and asked me for my license and insurance, I told him I was driving my friend's car and would have to call her and ask her where she kept her insurance papers and handed him my license meanwhile. It is a Missouri license since I got it when I lived there for a few years in 2005. Technically I should have changed it over to a TX license but have not done so because the lines for license changes are huge here. Anyhow I told the cop that I went back to MO often on company work and then he asked me how long I have lived here. I said I've been in Houston since 2007 but I go back to MO on business. He took my license and proceeded to write me a ticket. He then radioed me on his loudspeaker and asked me if I had the insurance papers. I showed him my friend's insurance papers which were unfortunately expired as of Oct 21 2009 (She forgot to put the updated papers in her car). He just looked at the date and said that they were expired and went back to his car and walked away while I was still trying to explain to him that the policy number was still valid. He came back and gave me another ticket for the same. When I tried to explain again that the policy number for the insurance was still valid he said that he ran the plates but the insurance did not show up on the car. Basically he gave me two tickets:

1) Violation for speeding 10 percent above speed limit (79mph Alleged vs 65mph posted speed limit)
2) Fail to maintain financial responsibility. (I believe this is for the insurance part)

He then pointed to the judge's name and number and asked me to contact her/him before the due date (Dec 09,2009) and asked me to sign the papers. I signed the insurance ticket since I can provide insurance details (showing present coverage, my friend has emailed me the pdf showing her latest policy coverage so I am hoping this will cover that bit) and dismiss the ticket hopefully. However before signing the speeding ticket I politely asked him if he could give me a warning instead. He curtly told me to sign the ticket and then said if I didn't want citations I should stick to the speed limit.

Can someone on here please tell me what my options are? I'd like to get out of the speeding ticket by doing the driving school if possible. Also, since my license is from MO will this cause me further problems? Please help...this is my first ticket ever and I don't know what I should do...

P.S: The ticket does not say how much money I have to pay. I also went online and looked up to see if I could take the defensive driving course and it says that I must have a Texas license in order to do that. My only option on the ticket is that I must contact the judge at the phone number provided in it.

Last edited:

That's what that big needle with the little numbers does for you... Tells when you are going faster than you should be.
But it doesn't tell you how fast you SHOULD be going. It needs to flash red or something when you're speeding for people who can't read or pay attention.

OP, you admit to not paying attention to how fast you were going. I dont' see how this is the officer's problem. Also, I guess you now know in the future to find the paperwork you'll need in case you get pulled over and make sure everything is in order before driving someone else's car.

PleaseHelpMe3

But it doesn't tell you how fast you SHOULD be going. It needs to flash red or something when you're speeding for people who can't read or pay attention.

OP, you admit to not paying attention to how fast you were going. I dont' see how this is the officer's problem. Also, I guess you now know in the future to find the paperwork you'll need in case you get pulled over and make sure everything is in order before driving someone else's car.
Yes I admit I was going faster than I realized. It was my fault. Hopefully this will all be figured out soon enough.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">