• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GreenDayGirl

Washington:
Hello, I got a speeding ticket today. Violation/Statute Code: 46.61.400. I was going 15 miles per hour over the speed limit down a hill and was pulled over by a cop sitting in one of the off roads. I was on my way to school. He pulled me over gave me a ticket for going 5 over the speed limit: 30 mph in a 25 mph zone. It was 113 dollars. I don't mind paying the ticket but I'm worried about my insurance rates and, since I am under the age of 18, this is a first violation and means I cannot drive any passengers until I am 18. I really want to take this to court. And I have some questions: Is there a way for me to plead guilty but ask for the charges to be removed? Would it be worth trying to pay a fine and get the charge bumped down to a non-moving violation? Would that make my insurance go up still? In the state of Washington, am I allowed to ask for probation before judgement? Would showing that I am a good student (I have over a 4.0), that I am really busy, and that I didn't know I was speeding and that I admit to it be helpful? And if the cop makes an appeal at a hearing, can he say that I was going 15 over or not since my ticket is says I was only going 5 over? I need to know my best options for fighting this. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

racer72

If you have a clean driving record, contest the citation then ask for a deferral at your hearing. Pay the fine and keep your nose clean for a year and the ticket goes away. But get another, both hit your driving record (and insurance company) at the same time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">