• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket questions and your opinion please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

URSPRINGTYME

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida My husband got a speeding ticket for going 50 in a 35. This is what happened He was pulling out from a stop sign behind public's grocery store heading up a real steep hill and some how got to 50 in lets than a tenth of a mile in a 1994 Chevy astro van with well over 150k mileage. Two motorcycle cops where parked on the other side of the hill in the steep ditch facing the opposite direction with their lights on. My husband and I went back to that same spot and took photos of the area and found that a four lane interstate 4 is in the view but, at a leveler angle in which the cops were sitting and from where they were parked you can not see the other side of the hill from where my husband was coming from because of the high hill along with the high concrete bridge and guard rails in which had reflectors on also in line with the cops close to the interstate is another busy 4 lane hwy.
: Our question is with these busy roads and a highway right there is it possible that the radar picked up someone on the interstate or the other hwy ?,(they are more in line than reading up and over a hill and a real steep hill at that), We have done some research on radars, is any of these things true? such as reflectors can mess a reading up, power lines can as well and radars can't read over hills? Also my husband asked to see the reading and the cop would not let him. The cops also said that him and his partner clocked him at 50 mph ,can two radars read the exact reading? Can anyone help me find out how I get my vehicle acceleration specks report, our van needs lots of TLC the front is messed up from a deer hitting us last year. There is no way it can accelerate that fast. any advice will be helpful Thanks to you all and sorry for taking your time

I_Got_Banned

: Our question is with these busy roads and a highway right there is it possible that the radar picked up someone on the interstate or the other hwy ?,(they are more in line than reading up and over a hill and a real steep hill at that),
That is possible but highly unlikely. You obviously have read a few sources on the web that mention that as a possible way to get out from a speeding ticket but your description broadens the field far too large for this to present a reasonable excuse to get a dismissal.
such as reflectors can mess a reading up
I assume you are speaking of the small reflectors that are used to separate lanes on the highway. If that is the case and if the Radar were to get its signal reflected off of one of these things then it will show a reading of “0”… That’s a zero since the reflector is not moving at all.
Next!
power lines
Yes, power lines will interfere with Radar signals but officers are trained to “test the Radar at a specific location prior to using it to tag anyone” and my guess is that the officers will testify that they have done that here as well.
as well and radars can't read over hills?
Nor can it read around corners… And your point is? You’re saying that your husband could not have reached a speed of 50mph going uphill … Well, do you think that once he reached the crest of that hill, might he be able to reach 50mph going down on the other side? Could that possibly be where the officers clocked him at 50mph.
Also my husband asked to see the reading and the cop would not let him.
There is no law that says he has to show your husband anything…
can two radars read the exact reading?
God, I hope so…
our van needs lots of TLC the front is messed up from a deer hitting us last year. There is no way it can accelerate that fast. any advice will be helpful Thanks to you all and sorry for taking your time
Uhm… Did you say “a deer hit you last year” so your van is “damaged to where it cannot get to 50 mph?
Do you ever get on the highway in that thing?

I_Got_Banned

OK, I was hoping someone else will chime in but since no one has.... here's some more of 'what I think":

First of all, let me say that saying a “1994 Astro van with 150k miles on it” does not suggest that one can or cannot hit 50 mph in 1/10 of a mile…

. . . Two motorcycle cops where parked on the other side of the hill in the steep ditch facing the opposite direction with their lights on.
Just a thought... How do you know that they clocked him while he’s (coming up) on the other side of the hill? Wouldn’t it make more sense to say that the clocked him (going down) coming down their side of the hill?

My husband and I went back to that same spot and took photos of the area and found that a four lane interstate 4 is in the view but, at a leveler angle in which the cops were sitting and from where they were parked you can not see the other side of the hill from where my husband was coming from because of the high hill along with the high concrete bridge and guard rails in which had reflectors on also in line with the cops close to the interstate is another busy 4 lane hwy.
Great idea… Blame it on “other traffic”… Typically, this strategy has worked as a defense when someone was cited for going a particular speed while traveling on a highway along with other traffic which was traveling at different speeds. Problem with your theory is that your suggesting the reading could be coming off of traffic that is on ANOTHER HIGHWAY somewhere out on the horizon.
My guess is it will take a judge who’s deaf, dumb and blind-folded to even allow you to argue that theory. You can still give it a shot if you’d like…
Can anyone help me find out how I get my vehicle acceleration specks report
Do you seriously think those would help… When earlier you said you had a van that is over 15 years old with a chunk of miles on it? … When in the same breath you say that it needs a lot of TLC because (and I’d like to quote this one again)…

the front is messed up from a deer hitting us last year.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">