• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket / Radar Device

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigg1954

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I received a sppeding ticket on 6/22/07 for traveling 48 mph in a 25 mph zone ,which was recorded by a radar device On the first court date the officer did not appear I am scheduled for a second appearence for 8/30/07
Does anyone have any suggestions for avoiding a conviction?

Thank you

racer72

1. Prove you did not speed.
2. Prove that the citation is defective.
3. Prove that the prosecution is incorrect.
4. Hope the officer doesn't show up again.
5. Ask about driving school and a deferral.
6. Hire an attorney.
7. Rub a Buddah's belly and say the magic word.

Maestro64

you can do all of the above, or you could have demanded that no continuance be granted since the officer was not there. Many time the courts grant them if the officer calls and tells them why he is not there which is fair since they will do the same for you if you call ahead of time. However, if he was not there for no good reason like he forgot or did not bother since you were only person he gave a ticket who is fighting.

I specially hear that the courts in NJ will keep you coming back until you pay, there is no guaranty the officer will show the next time. Find out what the rules of continuances are and whether a ticket is dismissed if the officer does not show. However, if you do no know the rules and do not ask or tell them you do not waive your rights they will keep doing this to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">