• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket in a School Zone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slock_8

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I was recently driving and caught speeding doing 30 in a 20 school zone. I did not know it was an active school zone and the legal speed limit outside of this was 30. There is a flashing sign that was not active and says Speed limit 20 when flashing and then 50 yards later signs with small print that lists the speed limit times which are 7a to 9a. I was caught speeding at 8:40a. The downfall is I was flowing with traffic and a car actually passed me but I got pulled over.

What are my legal options? What is a route to go?

FlyingRon

The fact that someone else is breaking the law (perhaps more egregiously) is not a defense. Going with the flow will never get you anywhere in court.

You can try to argue the defective sign in court, but the fact that there was another with explicit times is not going to help your case.

You got some proof the lights were out?
Do you think it would have been OK to strike some kid because the lights were out and you were unobservant of the other signage?

AHA

Big words through a computer. So zip it. You don't know anything about me!
Get off it. No one has to know anything about you apart from the incident you posted yourself. You got your answer, no need to get snotty about you not liking what you are told. Grow up and slow down when passing a school in the morning AND afternoon!

Jim_bo

You people are amazing. This person comes here, as per the purpose of this board, to ask for help and she gets lectures. When she rightly expresses her displeasure with the undeserved lecture, you guys turn on her like a pack of jackals!!!

Instead of coming up with new ways to tell her how irresponsible she is... why not just try to help her?

K Jim_bo, here goes...

OP was doing 10 over in a school zone due to failure to see posted signage. "Going with the flow" is never an excuse, you look like an idiot saying that. It makes you sound like a petulant teenager who just got told she can't go to the party at Johny's house while Johny's parents are away for the weekend. "BUT ALL THE OTHER KIDS ARE GOING!" Not the kind of attitude I would want to portray in front of a judge.

OP also admitted that there was a sign posted with times of day clearly listed that the lower speed limit was to be enforced AND admitted it was during this time of day she was ticketted. Failure to read street signs is also not an excuse to speed.

Advice? Either pay the ticket or hire a lawyer, although my guess is that a lawyer will cost more than the ticket.

(I sure hope this fits your standards Jim_bo, I did this just for you. BTW, I just said what the first person who responded said but took up more space to do it.)

AHA

You people are amazing. This person comes here, as per the purpose of this board, to ask for help and she gets lectures. When she rightly expresses her displeasure with the undeserved lecture, you guys turn on her like a pack of jackals!!!

Instead of coming up with new ways to tell her how irresponsible she is... why not just try to help her?
Why didn't YOU do it then?

FlyingRon

I was helping. I told her what wasn't going to fly in court.
I asked if she had proof the lights were non-functional, that's the only STRAW of hope she has.

bdirle888

The fact that you were caught doing 10 over at 0840 in a zone where there are clear signs stating the limit is 20 between 0700 to 0900 means you are totally boned. Traffic, you didn't see the signs, etc aren't going to help you.

I don't see you getting out of this one. Your best bet is to go to court and attempt to get a deal for a lower fine/points or traffic school if that is an option in Texas.

[insert random unnecessary insult about speeding in a school zone here]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">