• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket Speedy Trial?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xu_chen

What is the name of your state? NY

I was ticketed driving 50mph in a 30mph zone. This is my first ever offense. The officer informed me that I should plead 'not guilty' on my ticket and he will 'work something out' with me in court.
I plead not guilty the next day and it has been 3 months and I have not heard anything from the court, DMV, or the police department.
My question is, since so much time has elapsed, when the trial date finally comes, can I ask for the case to be dismissed because I was denied a speedy trial?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. This is in Dutchess County, NY. The ticket is handled through the Poughkeepsie City Court. The case will be in front of a real judge. I was given a supporting deposition from the officer at the time of ticketing, and it contains basically the same information as those on the ticket.

Last edited:

The Occultist

You must request from the court to exercise your right to a speedy trial. Since you did not ask for one, you are waiving that right.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">