• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding ticket by tracker

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mcgovern06

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? pa
What is the reliability of a speed control detection called "tracker"? This is the 1st I have ever heard of it- and yep i received a citation because of it. I would be willing to fight it------ only because approx .5 mile of a stretch of road there is ONE speed limit sign, and it is in a city area.
Help!

Maestro64

Tracker is just and another make of a typical VASCAR unit. Its accuracy depends on the user and how it was setup.

The law on sign placement is one must be posted once every 1/2 mile unless it something like Rural district or residential which those have statutory speed limits of 35 and 25, and may not always have signs posted and you should know if you are in a residential zone otherwise if the speed in not marked in PA it assume to be 55MPH.

And the new speed limit starts at the sign, however, in PA you can not be ticketed within 500ft of a change in speed if the speed is less then the previous posted sign.

mcgovern06

specifics of tracker

how does the tracker work? Is it a timing technique?
I went past the place today, and there is a 2nd speed limit sign- only the left over leaves on the branches partially block it, but it is after where the cop was sitting.
Personally I think this ticket is bull- I really do not understand how on 1 stretch of road- residential- for "x" amount of blocks it is posted 25, and the next amount of blocks is 35, same residential area.
Thanks again for any help!:)

Maestro64

Yes Tracker is a timing on distance method, research VASCAR and you get everything you need. Either the officer used two point on the road which is usually white line painted across the road and watches you past the two point and measures the time, or he can pace you while driving behind you and again using tow arbitrary points on the road.

The the information should be on the ticket, like time and distance time over and the calculated speed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">