• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding ticket in TX

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PAconfusedinTX

What is the name of your state? TX

I'm on business trip and received a speeding ticket (going 52 on 35 mph caught using a radar). I was making a right turn as the traffic was approaching and the office must of caught me when i was accelerating. I'd like to appear in court however, it's a month away and i'll be back home in PA. What are my options? what happens if i do not pay the speeding ticket? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Last edited:

JETX

PAconfusedinTX said:
What are my options?
Your options:
1) Accept the consequences of your actions, plead guilty and pay the ticket, or
2) Show up in court and present your defense.

what happens if i do not pay the speeding ticket?
The state of Texas contacts your local state (per the Non-Resident Violators Compact) and your state suspends your driving priviledges.

PAconfusedinTX

Jetx,

Thanks for the prompt answer..I was afraid that would be the case. I guess paying the ticket is cheaper than flying back to texas for $600.

A lawyer could probably handle it for you without you being there and possible plea for a reduced charge that could make it low enough your state would not assess points and impact your insurance.

lwpat

PA does not post minor out of state tickets to your record. Depending on the amount of the fine an attorney can sometimes save you money by getting a reduction.

JETX

Robbie0723 said:
A lawyer could probably handle it for you without you being there and possible plea for a reduced charge that could make it low enough your state would not assess points and impact your insurance.
Another 'opinion' without any legal fact.
Other than to admit guilt or for a procedural matter, an attorney cannot make appearance for the defendant.

rlem1977

Write a letter to the Court asking for Deferred Adjudication. If granted, the fine will be slightly higher, you'll be required not to have a moving violation in that County for 90 - 120 days, and, if you meet that requirement, the ticket will disappear (no insurance or PA points to worry about). Its worth a phone call and a stamp.

buddy1992

JETX said:
Another 'opinion' without any legal fact.
Other than to admit guilt or for a procedural matter, an attorney cannot make appearance for the defendant.
Another post from an "board expert" that doesn't know his arse from a hole in the ground. READ HIS POST. Never did he say that an attorney could appear for him. He said that "A lawyer could probably handle it for you without you being there and possible plea for a reduced charge."

I paid my attorney, he appeared for me at docket call, and the charges were dismissed. (I never appeared in court, because the case never went to court.) If it's a weak case, and you've hired representation, the prosecutor will dismiss the charges rather than chance losing a case. It's that simple.

I'll say it again, don't listen to the yahoos on this board...SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY AND GET SOME REAL LEGAL ADVICE.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">