• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket via radar

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adam_fischer

I recently got a ticket for speeding in a rural northeastern stretch of highway in Arizona (87). The officer clocked me at 84 in a 65 but put 75 on the ticket. Ordinarily I would pay the fine but cannot afford points on my license in this economy and thus am appealing for help.

I would like to know:

if there is anything I can use in the discrepancy for what the radar log would show versus what my ticket says.

if Arizona has a presumed speed limit and if so, what's the code?

are there any case laws for the state of Arizona regarding the admissibility of evidence concerning radar

any other advice you may have!

Thanks,
Adam

Umm I dont know alot but I should throw this out there, I have the same issue I was going 97 he said and put 90 on a 70, I dont think I want to tell the Judge I was actuly going faster as a defence =D, Im sure you know that. So I hope we get some help here. Im actuly working on transfering the case to my County Seat which will make it a 2 1/2 hour drive for the Officer, Which will greatly incresee my chances for him not showing up also it being about 7 months later. Make you should look into that if you want to fight it. It wont be a 100% chance of winning and you might have to duke it out in court like I might have to myself but its still a better chance. You can also do a trial by Written Dec and if he dosent submit his in time you will win, but if he dose and you lose, you can within I belive 15 days Write a Trail By Novo and then have a 2nd chance to duke it out in court, Im in Californa so this may differ for AZ but they are sister states so Hoply this helps you out, This is what Im doing to incresse my chances.

cyjeff

I have to agree with concern over the "there is a discrepancy on the ticket because the officer gave me a break" defense.

The Occultist

Which agency was the one to cite you? If you do not know that information, let's go with: where were you cited, and what court will be hearing your case?

I know you said you were on the 87, but you also stated it was in the northeastern area of AZ, which is not entirely correct; it's certainly the northeastern area of the valley, to be sure, but you can cover a lot of ground on that highway (not to mention that there's an offshoot of the 87, which is still referred to as the 87 depending on who you ask, which should take you through Payson, and eventually to Lake Mary Road into Flagstaff), and MANY different municipalities patrol what is, essentially, quite a long highway (actually, it's a very nice drive; my next travels will likely take me through there).

Also, I know that there is quite a bit of construction going on on the 87 right now; were you driving through a construction area? Were there workers present?

As far as speed limits in AZ go: go by posted limit. Failing a posted limit, on a highway your speed limit is 65mph. No matter what the speed limit is, it is a CRIMINAL offense to go over 75mph, so you DEFINITELY got a break from the officer.

Please respond with the requested information and we'll see if we can't offer more insight to your situation.

Last edited:

I_Got_Banned

Im actuly working on transfering the case to my County Seat which will make it a 2 1/2 hour drive for the Officer, Which will greatly incresee my chances for him not showing up
You need to quit bragging about that... Nothing is gonna get moved... You already asked the Judge and he turned you down... What are you gonna do? Force him to move it?
Make you should look into that if you want to fight it. It wont be a 100% chance of winning and you might have to duke it out in court like I might have to myself but its still a better chance.
You forgot to tell him that if the Judge asks him if he requested a Change of Venue from the officer for him to lie in open court, and while under oath by saying "yes your honor, I did request for it"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">