• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket Violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LoLo

What is the name of your state? CA

My situation is that I pleaded guilty (because of intimidation in the court) to a speeding ticket with vehicle code 22348b. According to the vehicle code I was not to pay more than the $500 in fines because it was my first offense. The fine that was given to me was more tha $800. My question is, would I be able to refute that with the court although I have already paid the fine in full? I was not aware of the vehicle code when appearing for trial and was clueless as to how things worked. Also would I be able to enter a new plea to contest the ticket because of this error, if there ever was one? I want to plead innocent of speeding because I was driving a car that was similar to a car that was speeding and I slowed down and the cop pulled me over because both cars were behind a big rig at the time. The officer would not listen to me when I told him the situation.

The website for the vehicle code:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22348.htm

CdwJava

The Total Bail as referenced on CA's Uniform Traffic Bail Schedule lists CVC 22348(b) as having a $420 amount before assessments. Additionally, 30 counties in CA have statutory permission to EXCEED the set bail amount.

If the fee exceeded the amount then there may have been some additional fees tacked on ... did you fail to pay the fine on time? Were there additional violations? How fast were you going? If you were doing 26+ MPH opver the limit (and at 100+ MPH I'd say that's a given) then there is an additional $350 enhancement. Did this happen in a construction zone?

There can be a number of reasons why your fine is so high ... have you called the court to ask?

And since you have already pled guilty, it is very doubtful that a new trial would be granted. Even if the fine was incorrect, that is not likely to be grounds for a new trial.

- Carl

lwpat

I just love people that whine "Its the court's fault, its the officer's fault". Nevermine that you were going over 100mph in traffic. Then you go into court still completely clueless. Just wait till you get your insurance renewal. Bring out the baby bottle!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">