• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket w/o being pulled over?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

NeoPenguin

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I was driving home and passed a car that might have been a cop, he got behind me and looked like he was going to turn off the highway at the same point that I did, but swirved back onto the highway instead. I was just wondering if it is possible for me to get a speeding ticket without actually being pulled over. ie. If he just got my speed and tags.

thanks

N

NeoPenguin

are there any circumstances which surround this possibility?

racer72

We have had folks post in this forum that a day or two after a traffic infraction, an officer showed up at their home and gave them a ticket. Others have gotten tickets in the mail. Or worse, the officer sees you while on duty a week from now and recognizes your car and writes you up then. When and if you are cited, there is nothing you can do.

lwpat

It is unlikely that you have anything to worry about. If he did not pull you over then it wasn't a police officer or you got lucky and he got a call.

The problem with a ticket a a later date is explaining why you were not stopped originally and proving that you were the actual driver. He would have to have gotten a good enough look to identify you.

T

Theodore Bundy

Yep, you can get a ticket anytime an officer feels like it. However, if you get a ticket without being stopped then the officer's case will be pretty weak.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">