• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket while on a driving permit.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PTWarrior

First post here -

So in June, I was driving from Maryland to Pennsylvania in the early morning. I was pulled over in Pennsylvania by a state trooper for going 15 over the posted limit (65). I was issued a citation and was sent on my way, not knowing the consequences this would later have. I was 10 days away from my driving test for my license, and was informed by my driver's ed teacher this ticket would push the ability to get the license back ANOTHER six months.

Now, 5 months later, Maryland has put a new policy in place that push every permit date back by another three months.

I was told not to go to court by the driving instructor, which now seems like the dumbest idea I have ever listened to.

My two questions are.

1. Does the new 3 month issue affect me? I got my permit December 27th 2008, and I had it for 9 months September 27th 2009, which was exactly nine months and 4 days before the new 3 month policy was put in place. The policy was put in place to make drivers have their permit for nine months at least, but I already had mine that long, so does it effect me? (Remember I had a penalty)

2. I go to a school 45 minutes from my house for sports and academics, and I can't keep doing it much longer without my license, I'm late everyday and my family has 5 kids in it with a single parent, and one driver, needless to say it's extremely difficult to get around. What are my options for removing this ticket from my record? I've read up on the subject for hours and hours, but I still really haven't found a great answer. I have the ability to hire a lawyer so that would not be a problem if needed, but any option to remove this from my record would be great, I can't continue to go to my school so far away until March this way, staying out there until 10pm some nights, I'm exhausted and tired of it.

Thanks for any help

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
A ticket in itself doesn't mean anything. What was the disposition, or is it still pending?

Why don't you just schedule your driving test and see what happens?

FlyingRon

He has a "learners permit." You must hold your learners permit for 9 months and starting last October, that 9 months resets every time you get a moving violation (or PBJ).

There was probably scant you could have done at the roadside to dodge the violation. If you paid the ticket, it's too late now. However, it's probably wishful thinking that you could have dodged the conviction if you went to court, but if you still have that option, you've probably nothing to lose by trying. More details might help the PA familiar see if there's any obvious strategies (also indicate which county in PA).

If you 9 months were up, the PT's suggestion of getting your license before the word gets down from PA might work, of course the provisional will end up sending you to drivers school if the violation hits, but at least you'll be driving.

What did the adult in the vehicle say about their inability to properly supervise you?

HighwayMan

He has a "learners permit." You must hold your learners permit for 9 months and starting last October, that 9 months resets every time you get a moving violation (or PBJ).
I understand that, but if there is no conviction how would anyone know about it?

Furthermore, even if he pled guilty or was found guilty, I can't see MD even finding out about it in any reasonable amount of time, if at all. I can't see why he just wouldn't go ahead and schedule his test. Let motor vehicles deny him.

FlyingRon

Why wouldn't there be a conviction?

I don't know how far he is into his first 9 month period.

It takes about 90 days for things to post these days.

PTWarrior

There was probably scant you could have done at the roadside to dodge the violation. If you paid the ticket, it's too late now. However, it's probably wishful thinking that you could have dodged the conviction if you went to court, but if you still have that option, you've probably nothing to lose by trying. More details might help the PA familiar see if there's any obvious strategies (also indicate which county in PA).

If you 9 months were up, the PT's suggestion of getting your license before the word gets down from PA might work, of course the provisional will end up sending you to drivers school if the violation hits, but at least you'll be driving.

What did the adult in the vehicle say about their inability to properly supervise you?
I got the ticket before the nine month period system started, and I paid the fine already.

I was told the violation would show up in the Maryland's DMV records.

I hit the 9months with my permit, before the extra three moth extention date was reached, so I don't think the extra three months would apply to me.

HighwayMan

Why don't you just try to schedule your test and get it over with? Let DMV deny you if they have reason, otherwise you can take your test.

PTWarrior

Yeah I'm going to do that- in 26 days, which is exactly 6 months after I was issued the ticket that reset the permit. (I paid it on the 27th)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">