• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket while overtaking in Wisconsin

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skp703

I am a Virginia resident and unfortunately I got my first speeding ticket (first traffic violation) in Wisconsin this weekend. Apparently the cop clocked me doing 80 in a 65 zone. I am actually not sure I was going 80 but that’s what he said. However he agreed that I was speeding to overtake vehicles and said that he will put that as a note. I am an international graduate student with excellent standing (4.0 GPA) and certainly financially don’t find it easy to afford a $186 ticket.

What are my best options-Should I contest the speed, which I think is too high, but while overtaking I was not looking on the speedometer? Should I say that was necessary for safe flow (don’t have much to back it up, except claim that there were other vehicles)? Should I also include a story of what might have happened like vehicle in front of me etc., again I have nothing except my friend riding along to corroborate. Should I emphasize that it’s my first offence and I generally am a safe driver and will saying that I am a poor student help?
I am back in Virginia so I will have to appeal with a letter any advice on that to will be appreciated too?

Will be grateful for any input.

The Occultist

It is not legal to speed even if you are passing another vehicle. Not even if.

I would go for the poor, remorseful college student and beg for mercy.

cyjeff

Let's see...

What are my best options-Should I contest the speed, which I think is too high, but while overtaking I was not looking on the speedometer?
I usually recommend against admitting you weren't paying attention to your speed during a claim that you were improperly issued a ticket for speeding.

Should I say that was necessary for safe flow (don’t have much to back it up, except claim that there were other vehicles)?
Two questions will be asked... one, are you a certified traffic engineer that can attest to what a "safe speed" is and if you were at that speed? Two, how is speeding to overtake make anything SAFER?

Should I also include a story of what might have happened like vehicle in front of me etc., again I have nothing except my friend riding along to corroborate
What would have happened?

You guys all would have gotten to where you were going later?

Should I emphasize that it’s my first offence and I generally am a safe driver and will saying that I am a poor student help?
So far, that is the only one that you have a shot with....

I am back in Virginia so I will have to appeal with a letter any advice on that to will be appreciated too?
Oh no... you get to appear in court... THERE....did you really think that you could contest a ticket by MAIL?

Why does every student think their GPA will get them out of speeding tickets?

skp703

Wow some really insightful replies. thanks a lot!! I guess for starters I need to make sure not to accept overtaking over the speed limit and then look in detail how to answer cyjeff's points.

About contesting the ticket via mail - the cop told me abt it. I did call the court and they confirmed I can mail /fax them a not guilty plea, and then I can argue over phone. Now that you have questioned it I am not sure if the court guy said mailing in the arguments was ok, but certainly phone was OK.

Well GPA thing I don’t know why I even put it there; I guess I was talking to people around for advice and it just came up.

FlyingRon

There's NO exemption for exceeding the posted or fixed limits while overtaking vehicles in Wisconsin. The only speed exemptions are for emergency vehicles and even that is restricted. Nor is the "safe flow" argument going to work. Even if there were one in practice you obviously weren't going with the flow, you were blowing past someone obeying the law.

Your GPA isn't going to mean squat.

Kiawah

Pay the ticket, learn from your mistake, move on in life.

On a $$/time perspective, it's cheaper than your classes at school.

You were speeding, you were caught, pay the man.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">