• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket zone/county issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D323

What is the name of your state? TX

I was traveling South on SH-121 a toll road operated by an independent company. This toll road has absolutly no speed limit signs anywhere to be seen. I have driven it many times and I just do around 70-80. I thought that the law was that if it isnt marked, 70 mph limit was presumed. Well, I never saw him. I believe he got behind me from an on ramp. Also I have a radar dectector, and it NEVER went off and this thing is super sensitive. It goes off to the smallest quicke mart doors or anything.

Well the officer pulls me over and states that he "clocked me doing 80 under the bridge."
under the bridge is a different county and still in the 70mph zone. The first speed limit sign for 55 mph is closer to the left most 121 symbol in the picture link below. I was traveling from the right to the left in the picture.

http://www.imazda.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3407&stc=1&d=1175358356

My fiancee was in the car and heard the officer tell me that I was "doing 80 under the bridge"

Obviously I was speeding, and I am happy to pay the ticket for 10mph over, but 80 in a 55 is un-just. I have driven this way many times, and never with any problem.

Also since I was speeding in a different county, he marked dallas, when he said the infraction was under the bridge. This is in Denton according to the map. I know its on the border, but he clearly stated where I was. I have a previous speeding ticket in Dallas county (defensive driving dimissal), so if I can get this one to change to Denton, it wont make me pay the previous tickets fine.

I am thinking I need a traffic court lawyer since I want to go to court. Is there a good chance that a Judge will see my point of view about the zone change?

Opinions about what I should do?

Last edited:

If there were no signs of a posted speed limit being 55mph, then you need to drive by there again, have your friend vedio tape the drive and show it to the judge. Don't even admit that you went 80mph unless the judge asks you. Just simply state that there were no signs and the ticket should be dismissed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">