• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Traps

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Joeyvalley

I read that Speeding Traps are illegal in California. When I was pulled over at 9am on superbowl Sunday for speeding, the CHP that stopped me said that he did not clock me speeding but the CHP airplane radared me at 85mph. However there were 8 other cars were being cited by the CHP in the same section of U.S. 101 that I was. My question is how can the CHP airplane radar so many cars for speeding at one time?

I_Got_Banned

I read that Speeding Traps are illegal in California. When I was pulled over at 9am on superbowl Sunday for speeding, the CHP that stopped me said that he did not clock me speeding but the CHP airplane radared me at 85mph. However there were 8 other cars were being cited by the CHP in the same section of U.S. 101 that I was. My question is how can the CHP airplane radar so many cars for speeding at one time?
How do you know the airplane radared so many cars at one time?

May be they did it the old fashioned way... One car at a time!!!

Also curious as to why you mentioned "speed traps"?

Here's you possible "out" from this citation... If and when you choose to take this citation to trial, both the citing officer as well as the officer who clocked you with the Radar have to be present. If one of them does not show up, you've got a pretty good chance of having your case dismissed.

My guess is that if they were doing "Group Sessions" that morning, they will get it right where they will both be there "with bells on" as they say....

You are correct in that speed traps are illegal, but you are incorrect as to what a speed trap actually is. What you described does not fit the criteria.
What is a speed trap? I hear it all the time but it's usually someone that got a ticket. Is there a technical definition? What makes it illegal?

Thanks

How do you know the airplane radared so many cars at one time?

Here's you possible "out" from this citation... If and when you choose to take this citation to trial, both the citing officer as well as the officer who clocked you with the Radar have to be present. If one of them does not show up, you've got a pretty good chance of having your case dismissed.

Also, isn't it hearsay and inadmissable for one of them to testify as to what the other said to?
EG: "The officer in the plane said he was going 85mph"

Last edited:

Maestro64

Your correct all officer involved in the ticket must appear at the hearing. Usually they do not all show since the ticket only listed the one officer who wrote the ticket and court only contacts that one officer to arrange for him to show. Unless that officer knows or remembers that it was a multi-officer operation he might not tell the others to show. Unless they are schedule for their own tickets at the same time.

Most people have no clue both must show so they to to court and lose anyway since they did not exercise their rights to question everyone involved and keep the ticketing officer from making statements of fact which he did not have first hand knowledge of. Police testify all the time to things they can not say they know as a fact since they never witness it themselves as in your case.

You are correct speed traps are illegal in CA under well defined conditions, and using an airplane can be legal or not depending on the situation. You would have to gather all the facts to determine if it meets the definition of an illegal CA speed trap.

I_Got_Banned

What is a speed trap? I hear it all the time but it's usually someone that got a ticket. Is there a technical definition? What makes it illegal?

Thanks
For California, a "SPEED TRAP" as defined in the Calfornia vehicle Code as follows:

CVC 40802. (a) A "speed trap" is either of the following:
(1) A particular section of a highway measured as to distance and with boundaries marked, designated, or otherwise determined in order that the speed of a vehicle may be calculated by securing the time it takes the vehicle to travel the known distance.
(2) A particular section of a highway with a prima facie speed limit that is provided by this code or by local ordinance under subparagraph (A) of paragraph (2) of subdivision (a) of Section 22352, or established under Section 22354, 22357, 22358, or 22358.3, if that prima facie speed limit is not justified by an engineering and traffic survey conducted within five years prior to the date of the alleged violation, and enforcement of the speed limit involves the use of radar or any other electronic device that measures the speed of moving objects. This paragraph does not apply to a local street, road, or school zone.

Last edited:

I_Got_Banned

Also, isn't it hearsay and inadmissable for one of them to testify as to what the other said to?
EG: "The officer in the plane said he was going 85mph"
Yes it is which is why both officers have to show up in court to testify as to what each of them saw and or did!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">