• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Unreasonably need help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SaabTurbo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Kentucky ticket was issued after a wreck in Indiana at the scene.

Hey my name is Michael and I'm 18 year's old I've been having my drivers license for about 2 year's now and this was my first accident and claim ever I had to do. The vehicle was a 2011 Honda Civic Sedan LX, that is a lease and I'm making payments on. I'm looking for advice on what to do with this speeding ticket because I feel it was unreasonably and the state trooper was just looking for something to give me a ticket on. I was going home from work and I hopped onto I-65 South going towards Kentucky, because I work in Indiana. The far right lane was barely moving highest MPH in the far right lane is 5-10mph. After sitting in traffic for about 20 minutes someone let me threw in the far right lane. There is 3 lanes of traffic that go onto a bridge. The far left and middle lane traffic was flowing at 40-50mph with no signs of slowing down as it was around 7 in the afternoon. I put my turn signal to the left checked my blind spot and moved into the middle lane. I then accelerated to 40-50mph flowing with traffic. I kept my distance because people in the middle lane try to cut off people in the right lane and try to beat the traffic. I look over my shoulder to check my blind spot and apply my turn signal to the left. A car was in my blind spot but the vehicle slowed down and flashed there headlights letting me know that they were going to let me move over to the left lane. I accelerate to 50-55mph and start moving into the left lane and I do a hand gesture thanking them. I look forward and before I knew the middle lane of traffic was completely stopped and I rear ended another car and did a lot of damage to my passanger front bumper and fender and a lot of damage to the other car's left tail light and rear corner panels. Once Indiana state troopers showed up with a tow truck to get us off the road. He helped the lad y but also wrote her a ticket for not having insurance. The police officer than wrote me a ticket for speeding unreasonably in conditions. He has no MPH written on the ticket or any proof what so ever because he was not there or even close during the time of the accident. He said because I wasn't able to avoid the accident I was speeding. Is this a valid ticket? The fine is $151, and I'm wondering if I could go to court and get this dropped? The speed limit on I-65S is 65 MPH. And at the time of the accident I was flowing with traffic under that speed limit.If I do decide to go to court what should I plea and will it be hard to get the ticket dropped? This is my first accident and ticket ever, and I have no criminal background please help x.x

Last edited:

I_Got_Banned

From section
KRS 189.390 Speed -- Secretary authorized to increase speed limit in certain areas by official order -- Parking.
(2) An operator of a vehicle upon a highway shall not drive at a greater speed than is reasonable and prudent, having regard for the traffic and for the condition and use of the highway.​

Now, let us assume you were still in the right lane, nobody had let you merge through to the 2 lane, and traffic in front of you (in that right lane) was moving at the rate of 10-15mph, it would be unreasonable for you to drive 25-30mph and expect not to get in an accident, RIGHT?

In certain weather conditions (like during snow, sleet, heavy rain, cold weather where the roads are icy) it is be unreasonable for you to drive at 35mph in a residential or business district even though the speed limit there is 35mph simply because the roads are wet/slippery... etc.

In this case, and despite your claim that "middle lane traffic was flowing at 40-50mph" you obviously sped up to 50-55 before getting out of the middle lane (otherwise, your front right would not have hit the rear left part/area of the car in front of you).

So regardless of what the speed limit is or that you were still 10 or mph under it, regardless of whether you took your eyes off the road for a moment until it got to a point where you were unable to stop in time to avoid a collision, or whether you were driving too fast and although you tried to stop to avoid a collision but were unable to, in any case, the reason you were unable to stop can be attributed to "higher than reasonable speed" i.e. "speed that is Unreasonable for conditions". Had you been driving at a lower speed, your stopping distance would have been shorter, and you might have been able to stop without/before you ran into the car in front.

Realistically, the collision itself is indicative of the fact that you were going too fast for road/traffic conditions. Of course, it could also be easily concluded that you were not being attentive, i.e. being careless which would have lead to a citation for careless driving (see section 189.290(1) http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/189-00/290.PDF).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">