• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding and unsafe lane change?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hded

What is the name of your state?I'm in CA, and today I recieved a speeding ticket and unsafe lane change. The motorofficer was using a radar gun and wrote down that I was going 52 mph in a 35. There was a suv that was right behind me who did the same thing I did. My question is do you think he might of hit his car with the radar gun being that I was in a vw beetle, and the suv is a lot larger than me? Also do radar guns have a calibration date and how do I find out about its record before I go to Court? Also are officers allowed to measure speed on private property? He was sitting in a driveway of aparment complex. Any info would greatly be appreciated! THANKS! :confused:

Pugilist

I strongly recommend that you go to the library and get a book on how to fight your ticket. There's one that is very good.

On the radar cite, make sure you read about the Speed Trap Law.

You also have a very good chance that the officer will not show up for the trial, in which case you win by default.

Pug

hded said:
There was a suv that was right behind me who did the same thing I did.
Umm okay.... so you were speeding also. Why do you ask the next questions?

hded said:
Also are officers allowed to measure speed on private property? He was sitting in a driveway of aparment complex.
Yes, they can be anywhere. And no, they don't have to have there lights on, or be visible.

CdwJava

hded said:
The motorofficer was using a radar gun and wrote down that I was going 52 mph in a 35. There was a suv that was right behind me who did the same thing I did. My question is do you think he might of hit his car with the radar gun being that I was in a vw beetle, and the suv is a lot larger than me?
COULD he? Maybe. But the chances are he hit you - the lead car.

Also do radar guns have a calibration date and how do I find out about its record before I go to Court?
Yes, they do. They have maintenance records and calibration records (these are not the same). This information can be obtained through Discovery prior to your court date.

Also are officers allowed to measure speed on private property? He was sitting in a driveway of aparment complex. Any info would greatly be appreciated! THANKS! :confused:
Yes. he can sit in the driveway.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">