• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding in Virginia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

swimmer1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I was stopped and given a speeding ticket in Virginia in violation of 462.862 I was given pink sheet of paper to plead guilty and waive my right to a trial because I was in a rental car and do not live in VA. I am moving to Florida in 2 weeks for a new job and can't go back for a trial. I am wondering what typically happens if I waive my rights seeing that is my only possibility. Will they give me some crazy fine, points etc. because I'm not there to see what's going on?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I was stopped and given a speeding ticket in Virginia in violation of 462.862 I was given pink sheet of paper to plead guilty and waive my right to a trial because I was in a rental car and do not live in VA. I am moving to Florida in 2 weeks for a new job and can't go back for a trial. I am wondering what typically happens if I waive my rights seeing that is my only possibility. Will they give me some crazy fine, points etc. because I'm not there to see what's going on?
The points and the ticket will go on your driving record. You might try and call the court clerk and ask if you can get probation or civil penalty if you do not have any tickets on your record.

Joe64

speeding ticket 46.2-870

We live in NC and my 21 year old Son got his 1st speeding ticket in Boydton, VA (Mecklenburg Court)

I plan to go with him on his court date 11/10/2015

Our plan is to be at the mercy of the court and pay whatever fines are due in hopes of avoiding any potential points.

I am hearing so many different responses regarding this strategy so my questions are:

1. is it possible to hire a lawyer to negotiate this and avoid the 2+ hours drive in order to avoid the points?
2. will going to court and putting ourselves at the mercy of the court help us to potentially avoid points?

I am not concerned with the court cost as opposed to points because my Son has been a good driver other that this 1 infraction and he is aspiring to be a FedEx driver or UPS driver.

Thank You for your advise.

FlyingRon

You should start your own thread rather than following up on a someone else's (long dead) one.

This charge is simple speeding unlike the criminal charge the previous poster was discussing.

While GDC is a relatively informal thing and you can sit with him in the court room before his case is called, you will not be allowed to stand with him, speak for him, or advise him during his trial. He's an adult. If he needs hand holding, it needs to be an attorney not his mommy. Yes, it is possible to hire a lawyer...get one familiar with this particular court so they know what will fly. VA judges used to offer VADIP to defer the convictions for Virginia residents. However, even for those, it may not be offered. They may waive the fine (but not the costs) if so inclined.

The question is HOW MUCH OVER THE LIMIT was he travelling? If it was less than 15 MPH, NC will neither assign DMV or Insurance points for this conviction.

Joe64

Thanks FlyingRon

You should start your own thread rather than following up on a someone else's (long dead) one.

This charge is simple speeding unlike the criminal charge the previous poster was discussing.

While GDC is a relatively informal thing and you can sit with him in the court room before his case is called, you will not be allowed to stand with him, speak for him, or advise him during his trial. He's an adult. If he needs hand holding, it needs to be an attorney not his mommy. Yes, it is possible to hire a lawyer...get one familiar with this particular court so they know what will fly. VA judges used to offer VADIP to defer the convictions for Virginia residents. However, even for those, it may not be offered. They may waive the fine (but not the costs) if so inclined.

The question is HOW MUCH OVER THE LIMIT was he travelling? If it was less than 15 MPH, NC will neither assign DMV or Insurance points for this conviction.

Thank you for the advise. the ticket is showing [80/70] so it appears he had just hit the 10 miles over the limit mark.
I am actually his Father and did not plan to speak for him but support him being that the his vehicle is on my insurance.
I am also in very unfamiliar territory here and do apologize for any issues with not starting a new thread for this is a bit confusing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">