• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding w/oversize tire

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lawrence T

Arizona highway photo-radar. How can I determine ( with arithmetic ) the effect that over size tires have on my p.u. vehicle speed ? i.e. : speed-0-meter reading vs my actual speed, in the range of 55 to 65 mph.
Also, in the Arizona law books they say "approximately such and such a speed".
When they say "approximately", what do they mean, exactly ?
This is my first post, not sure ?!?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

racer72

Please don't use oversize tires as an excuse for a speeding ticket. This is lame excuse #7 on the 10 lamest excuses judges hear for speeding tickets. It is up to you, the operator of a motor vehicle to maintain the vehicle to the factory standards and if changes are made, to compensate for these changes while driving. To determine the difference tire size makes, one needs to know the circumference of the stock tire and new tire.

I_Got_Banned

Here's an online calculator that can help you figure out the change in speed as a function of tire size.

Tire size calculator

However, like racer has already stated, your excuse will not get you out of the speeding ticket.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My truck has oversized tires. I know to add 10% (actually 11%) to the speed shown on my speedo. That way, I know how fast I'm really going ;)

Lawrence T

speeding with oversize tires

To those of you that make assumptions
and then follow-up with an unfounded
judgement: the vehicle is not mine. I
was doing a good deed( something you all are not familiar with ). My neighbor who has had quadruple heart by-pass surgery and now depends on his pacemaker to survive each day,
called me at night and asked for help.
He needed to pick up his niece at the bus depot. The plans that she had previously made went afoul and she
was scared, all alone at the terminal
at 1 a.m. Darrell is fearful to drive at the highway speeds. He doesn't want
to have something go wrong with his
health and thus result in a major highway speed catastrophe. Thusly, I
got involved. If it would have been a
highway patrolmen that night, I
truly believe I would have only been
issued a warning ticket - my speedometer read 63-64 mph at the time of the photo flash. Thus, I think
a traffic judge would also be considerate of those circumstances and
be lenient and void the ticket.
By the way, my vehicle is down for
service.

justalayman

To those of you that make assumptions
and then follow-up with an unfounded
judgement: the vehicle is not mine. I
was doing a good deed( something you all are not familiar with ). My neighbor who has had quadruple heart by-pass surgery and now depends on his pacemaker to survive each day,
called me at night and asked for help.
He needed to pick up his niece at the bus depot. The plans that she had previously made went afoul and she
was scared, all alone at the terminal
at 1 a.m. Darrell is fearful to drive at the highway speeds. He doesn't want
to have something go wrong with his
health and thus result in a major highway speed catastrophe. Thusly, I
got involved. If it would have been a
highway patrolmen that night, I
truly believe I would have only been
issued a warning ticket - my speedometer read 63-64 mph at the time of the photo flash. Thus, I think
a traffic judge would also be considerate of those circumstances and
be lenient and void the ticket.
By the way, my vehicle is down for
service.
There are thousands of bypass operations yearly and thousands upon thousands of people that have pacemakers. This is s sad story to try to use to refute a speeding ticket. If Daryl is that fearful something might happen while he is driving, he should NEVER drive, period.

over sized tires is a lousy excuse for an owner. You might get away with it as a defense, only limited mind you, since it is not your vehicle and the judge may accept ignorance as a reasonable defense.

but your sad story is meaningless.

Bottom line; you borrowed Darylls truck because your vehicle is broken. You were not aware of the oversized tires and Daryl, having had a quad bypass and no a pacemaker was leaning against the window drooling and playing with the buttons on his shirt (well, you are the one that implied Daryl was in no shape to do anything because of his heart. I have known too may people that have had bypass surgery and others with pacemakers to understand that neither of those two things in themselves really cause a great limitation such as you are suggesting). Daryl failed to inform you of the over sized tires and you were driving at the speed limit, per the speedometer.

One thing you had better have in court to support your claims:

verified evidence that when actually driving 64 miles/hour, the speedometer registered no more than the speed limit where you received the ticket. Without that, you are simply presenting a sad story just like thousands of other schmucks with sad (and unsubstantiated) stories.

DRTDEVL

Try this: Eliminate the sob story, tell us what type of vehicle it was and the speed you were photographed at.

I'll tell you what size tire is on the truck, and I bet it would be obvious to a layman that it is not the stock size.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">