• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Speeding" in WA State at 70mph on I-405

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IrishBoy

I am a CA resident.

Visited Seattle WA this week and was driving south on I-405, just south of Lynnwood WA and was driving at a safe and resonable (albeit slightly more than the limit of 60 mph). I was stopped by a WSP officer who registered me at 72 mph. However as I behaved perfectly during the stop it was reduced to 70 ! ... The fine "bail" is $113... to me this is simply legalized extortion ! ( This was a clear dry day on an open 3 lane, light traffic well paved Interstate freeway ... I have driven worldwide for 20 years with ZERO tickets or accidents ( I am originally from Ireland and have driven safely at speeds in excess of 140 mph on the German autobahn (in new cars). I once drove, in one day, from Berlin through Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, France , into the Channel Tunnell and ended in Oxford UK at speeds well inexcess of 100 mph (legally) and never saw the type of entrapment we have here in the USA.. (of course ZERO accidents observed that day also)

My question is... as a CA resident can I get a deferment for this ticket ( I only visit WA occasionally ) ? In CA I drive a performance BMW (with V1 protection)... I NEVER drive when the road conditions determine it unsafe to do so. ( I have taken numerous defensive driving education courses including those from the London Metropolitation Police, UK).

I love this great country of ours but for one thing... the blantant abuse of power of traffic officers in their quest to collect $$$ for their employers in the name of " accident prevention " .... what about the all the Commercial Vehicles that are not speed limited in the USA (limited in Europe to 55mph).... Sorry for the rant..

Cheers,
IrishBoy :)

JIMinCA

Irish,

I share your disdain for law enforcement officers and courts that treat traffic laws as a revenue generation device. I also have a problem with people who treat this forum as if it is intended for morality lectures. Unfortunately, I know little about Washington Law... hopefully, you'll get someone knowlegeable to comment on your situation without the rightous indignation.

fairisfair

Irish,

I share your disdain for law enforcement officers and courts that treat traffic laws as a revenue generation device. I also have a problem with people who treat this forum as if it is intended for morality lectures. Unfortunately, I know little about Washington Law... hopefully, you'll get someone knowlegeable to comment on your situation without the rightous indignation.
and THIS is apparently NOT it, as you have merely taken advantage of the opportunity to explore YOUR indignation and give YOUR own little morality lecture.:rolleyes:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I love this great country of ours but for one thing... the blantant abuse of power of traffic officers in their quest to collect $$$ for their employers in the name of " accident prevention " .... what about the all the Commercial Vehicles that are not speed limited in the USA (limited in Europe to 55mph).... Sorry for the rant..

Cheers,
IrishBoy :)
Ya know...had you been driving the posted speed limit, you wouldn't be on here complaining... :rolleyes:
But, you acknowledge that you were speeding, so don't blame it on the system, boy.

racer72

Unfortunately, I know little about Washington Law... hopefully, you'll get someone knowlegeable to comment on your situation without the rightous indignation.
I answered his only question and I know quite a bit about Washington law. No comments from the peanut gallery please.

racer72

What makes you think my point was directed at you? Do you have a guilty conscience?
Then perhaps you should not be making general comments without direction. Or perhaps you have a serious case of buttinsky and enjoy adding comments that add absolutely nothing to the thread. And why the hell would I have a guilty conscience? I was just pointing out how foolish your post was.

Edit. Let me change that last sentence. I was just pointing out how ignorant your post was.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">