• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding while liscence was revoked.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSims

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

On Interstate 85, late night, driving from Greensboro to Charlotte, I was given a ticket for speeding (79 in a 65) and the police officer told me that my liscence was showing as suspended/revoked.

The liscence suspension was in the NC DMV database for not having paid a speeding ticket from two years prior. The situation was resolved the next day. (with $110 payment, and a new liscence from the DMV)

But when my case was called before the judge it was as a speeding violation with a suspended/revoked liscence. I was asked if I , had a lawyer, needed a state lawyer or would defend myself....

I've only been in a court of law one other time, so out of ignorance, fear or whatever, I told the judge that I would defend myself.

With the pending court date next month, I'm concerned that this may have been a foolish decision. Can I still have a lawyer to handle my case even after my statement to the judge? If found guilty, what are the penalties, costs...?

I was pulled around 11:30pm on I-85, and in all honesty, I had the cruise control set at 70. My foot was resting on the gas pedal. ( btw...I wear a size 12 shoe) and I was simply caught up in conversation with my passenger and watching for deer along the side of the road, not paying attention to my speed.

Deer have been a life threatening hazard in the last few years. We saw 3 dead deer on the highway during the trip to Charlotte, and on the trip home the next day, 3 deer ran across the highway about 50 feet in front of us.

ANY feedback, guidance etc is greatly appreciated.

JSims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">