• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speedy Trial NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kpyoung

NY state - I recieved a speeding ticket about 6 months ago. My trial date is tomorrow. Would I be successful if I made a motion to dismiss based on my right to a speedy trial? All I could find was the following info...

In People v Thorpe, 160 Misc.2d 558; 613 N.Y.S.2d 795 (1994), the Supreme Court, Appellate Term, Second Department, unequivocally stated:
“In answer to the defendant’s assertion in his affidavit of errors that his constitutional right to a speedy trial had been violated, the return of the court merely asserted that the right to a speedy trial did not apply to a traffic violation. This assertion is incorrect, since the constitutional right to a speedy trial applies to all prosecutions (People v Wertheimer, NYLJ, June 5, 1986 at 15, col 5 [App. Term, 2d & 11th Jud Dists]).”

Appreciate any advice!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">