• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speedy Trial Right Violated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

starmate5

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York State:

I received a speeding ticket on 12/23/08. Was scheduled to be heard in the Municipal Court (local village court). Was given the ticket by the Suffolk County Police (Long Island, NY), even though it was a ticket from the Village of Lake Grove (a small municipality) and will be heard by the Mayor of this specific village. In any event, was due to go to the court on 2/3 to be heard on this ticket, but was called off due to snow and reschedule for the end of April. To me, this seems like an overly long time to wait to plead my case. If the Court couldn't hear the cases scheduled on that date, 2/3, why extend the appearance date another two months off in the future? They seem to only hold court one time per month, so should I be the one to pay for that?

I am interested in knowing what the law states as far as how quickly the court has to prosecute you for a speeding ticket or be at risk of dismissal. Thank you very much for any information you can provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">