• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Splendora Texas is not being very nice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stacyr

What is the name of your state? Texas

I had received some traffic tickets in the city of Splendora, Texas Montgomery County sometime in 1997. I admit that they had put me on a payment plan around that time but I did not follow through with that and I do accept full responsibility for that. I am now a single mother of 3 daughters and have tried to set these tickets out because I am unable to come up with the 700.00 they want down just to go in front of the judge. I have called them on numerous occasions and they are not very polite with me. I am now at a time in my life where I am trying to make all things right with my self, my kids and my God. I am unable to get a drivers license or a state issued Id because of these warrants and thus it prevents me from getting a job to come up with the money. Me and my kids are suffering because of this since I am unable to get a steady stable job. I do not dispute that I owe this money I just need a little compassion on this subject so that I can get an ID to get a job. I just need some advise on what it is that I can do about this. I want to take care of it and get it out of my life but I just do not have 700.00 or 1200.00. Please help me. I do not dispute their side and I am ready to take full responsibility for my actions I just need some compassion.What is the name of your state?

Heather2

Are you able to pay anything? Maybe they would be willing to work out another payment plan. You might ask if you can pay your debt by doing community service.

BelizeBreeze

And what about your story provides a basis for the town not being so nice.

Is it the fact that they have not yet put you in jail ?

I'd think that was very nice of them.

You don't get any special treatment because you can pop a kid or two out. You broke the law SEVERAL times, was found guilty SEVERAL TIMES, promised to make payments SEVERAL TIMES and thumbed your nose at the kindness afforded you.

TOUGH COOKIES!

JETX

stacyr said:
I want to take care of it and get it out of my life but I just do not have 700.00 or 1200.00.
Pretty simple. Just take some of that money you get from the father(s) of your children, pay the tickets and then get a license and a job.

Please help me.
You have to learn to help yourself first.

I do not dispute their side and I am ready to take full responsibility for my actions I just need some compassion.
No you don't. You need someone to overlook your own screwups. You broke the law and got cited for it. Rather than take care of the tickets as you should have, you screwed up and ignored them. You broke the law again... got caught and screwed up. You then went out and got pregnant (don't know where that falls in your plan) and now try to use THAT as an excuse for your continuing to screw up. The court gave you a break with a payment plan and you screwed that up. How many chances do you think you are owed??

Get the money from somewhere (kids fathers, your parents, your boyfriend, your 'whatever') and take care of your life. Then, grow up.
Hope that the lesson in the harsh reality of life helps.

Hey, I just got an even better idea... negotiate your surrender to the county sheriff on the outstanding tickets. Go to jail for a day or two and the tickets will all be disposed. THEN, you can grow up.
And so you don't think I am being too harsh... yep, I let my oldest son do just that.... from the days BEFORE he grew up and became a responsible driver.

Last edited:
stacyr said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

I had received some traffic tickets in the city of Splendora, Texas Montgomery County sometime in 1997. ... I am now a single mother of 3 daughters and have tried to set these tickets out because I am unable to come up with the 700.00 they want down just to go in front of the judge. I have called them on numerous occasions and they are not very polite with me. I am now at a time in my life where I am trying to make all things right with my self, my kids and my God.
Not nice is available in abundance, as you have seen, even in places where you earnestly seek helpful and practical advice. The nature of your particular problem was a common experience when there were debtor's prisons, and remains in circumstances such as you describe. Clearly, the prison of having neither the money nor the essentials to earn it leaves you with the narrowest of options, the better of which is in somehow obtaining a loan, clearing the tickets, getting a license/ID and work. Could require charity, of either relatives or a benefactor rarely found in a not nice world.

I am unable to get a drivers license or a state issued Id because of these warrants and thus it prevents me from getting a job to come up with the money. Me and my kids are suffering because of this since I am unable to get a steady stable job. I do not dispute that I owe this money I just need a little compassion on this subject so that I can get an ID to get a job. I just need some advise on what it is that I can do about this. I want to take care of it and get it out of my life but I just do not have 700.00 or 1200.00. Please help me. I do not dispute their side and I am ready to take full responsibility for my actions I just need some compassion.What is the name of your state?
While the state can be overly rigid with regard to accused persons, Texas does have people in Child Protective Services who can and will respond to the circumstances created in this deal. Make it known to that agency what difficulties your children face, and they will work with you in a nicer way than the others. They may even have links to resources for keep momma from having to resort to the less desirable options. Being trained social workers, these folks will not jump down your throat, and will help you assess your prospects in a practical way.

Texas Transplan

Splendora's extortion

stacyr

I was looking for an answer to the same situation. Looks like we're both still looking for answers! Also looks like some of these posters are qualified to work at Splendora ;)

And to set the record straight ... I Am a social worker looking for answers to help someone also wronged by Splendora. After a silly ticket, an outrageous tow bill for 100 foot tow, only one week til court, this person found himself with a warrant. He could not make a payment plan, could not do community service, could not make bail and could not go to jail ... these are not options in Splendora !! Splendora doesn't have a jail and the county jail doesn't want to be bothered with Splendora tickets.
This little "trap" town is not your typical situation where normal options apply ... This is what makes it unfriendly!

Now when this person did finally get together $1,000 that he owed this town once the fees were piled on, he went in to pay it only to be told they wanted $2,000. Impossible? Yes!! Bordering extortion I would say.

I sure wish I had your answer stacyr, but we'll have to keep looking and keep hoping this legal extortion will stop!

Best of luck to you and to these posters to love to see others suffer at the hands of injustice ;(

The Occultist

Um, the OP hasn't even logged into this website in just about a year. I don't think she's gonna get your oh so inspiring message.

HappyHusband

This little "trap" town is not your typical situation where normal options apply ... This is what makes it unfriendly!
How is Splendora a "trap" town?
The speed limit on 59 is clearly posted. The police just happen to enforce the speed limit on this stretch of highway.
If you top the overpass at 80 mph and all of a sudden you see the police car on the side of the road, that is not a speed trap.
Or, when you top the overpass and you can see for a mile down the straight stretch of the road, and you can see the police car waiting there, way up ahead on the side of the road, and you still blow by the police car at 80 mph, that is not a speed trap.

I commuted through Splendora to Houston for three years. 4 out of 5 days the police would be sitting on the side of the road. After a few thousand trips through Splendora, I've never been stopped.
How did I escape the extortion and injustice of the ruthless Splendora city police? I made sure I was driving the speed limit.

Not a speed trap.

cepe10

How is Splendora a "trap" town?
The speed limit on 59 is clearly posted. The police just happen to enforce the speed limit on this stretch of highway.
If you top the overpass at 80 mph and all of a sudden you see the police car on the side of the road, that is not a speed trap.
Or, when you top the overpass and you can see for a mile down the straight stretch of the road, and you can see the police car waiting there, way up ahead on the side of the road, and you still blow by the police car at 80 mph, that is not a speed trap.

I commuted through Splendora to Houston for three years. 4 out of 5 days the police would be sitting on the side of the road. After a few thousand trips through Splendora, I've never been stopped.
How did I escape the extortion and injustice of the ruthless Splendora city police? I made sure I was driving the speed limit.

Not a speed trap.
Basically if the speed limit is posted well below the 85% speed -the National Highway Transportation Safety Admiminstation guideline and there are no accidents or other warrants for draconian enforcement and the enforcement is arbitrarily more intensive in that area - then it is a Speed Trap - a revenue generation operation rather than the intended safety issue....

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Basically if the speed limit is posted well below the 85% speed -the National Highway Transportation Safety Admiminstation guideline and there are no accidents or other warrants for draconian enforcement and the enforcement is arbitrarily more intensive in that area - then it is a Speed Trap - a revenue generation operation rather than the intended safety issue....
Oh Brother :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Texas Transplan

Speed trap defined - by Splendora Texas!

I'm glad some of you have had such great luck in Splendora, good for you! I take it your hobby then is simply inciting and annoying those who are having problems ... not so good for you ;( I'm sorry you are so miserable and seek out company of those suffering. FYI ... I have never had a ticket in my life either, but that's not the point in this case.
As you know, there are several speed trap towns within a few miles on that stretch of Hwy. 59. You would be hard pressed to find many residents even in the area who would argue that it is not in fact a "speed trap" and I do not intend to argue that with you, as you are Wrong ... sorry ;) Oh ... I do have just a little knowledge of their workings, as I was (Many years ago) employed by one of these trap "cities" and know Way too much about how they operate outside of the law to acquire funds, only to fund their own police department. But that's another story.

I consider it a "trap" when one is pulled over for failure to use a blinker when coming out of a drive through fast food restaurant on private property ... any old excuse will do. We're not talking about doing 80 miles an hour here Mr. know it all. And of course they then "look the other way" when a wrecker driver then Way overcharges for towing a car 100 feet to a residence ... just numerous things outside of the law.

My point was ... the "norm" does not apply in these lawless, or make their own laws, kind of towns. They HAVE no jail, the county jail doesn't want to be bothered with their tickets because the county knows how they operate and has NO respect for their traffic tickets. So serving time in jail isn't even an option. It's truly like being in an alternate universe ;~)

There really should be a speed trap law to do something about them !!! Actually, the state was looking into the illegal activities of Patton Village years ago, but I assume they gave up because if they chose to shut them down, the state would then have to assume their responsibilities for the town and I guess they didn't want to be bothered either ... so on they go!

OK ... I'm done educating you here, I won't be back so blast away ;) Or you can better spend your time blasting others who will read it and I will move on to educate others about the evils of Splendora!

No, they aren't like normal jurisdictions, sorry. They have no value other than paying their own salaries, harassing people and driving down real estate values with their speed trap reputation!

Have a great day and good luck out there :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">