• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statue of limitations,

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

azteksamurai

California... Is there a statue of limitations between the time a moveing violation is made, and the time a citation is issued??? Several moveing violations were cought on video 3 years ago (street raceing, motorcycle stunts), these video tapes have come into the possesion of the police in a recent raid of a friends house... My face and vehicle information is visable in these tapes, do i need to worry about prosacution???

seniorjudge

Q: My face and vehicle information is visable in these tapes, do i need to worry about prosacution?

A: It depends on what you did. If you committed a felony, you could be in big trouble.

CdwJava

IF (and it's a big "if") any of the acts were felonies, they would generally have three years to file. However, as it is likely the acts were misdemeanors or infractions, the SOL is up after a year.

However, if someone was injured or killed during the incident covered on the tape there are avenues that can be pursued to commence prosecution. If it is only of racing and generally imbecilic, dangerous, and immature behavior in vehicles, then I would not think it would be pursued.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">