• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statue No. Blank

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

emorour

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I received a ticket under other traffic/parking offence the officer wrote "Unsafe Vehicle". He did not check court appearance required and also left the Statute No. blank. Then I got a notice to appear in court for the following violation
39:4-97.2 Operating a motor vehicle in an unsafe First offense $50 $150
manner, endangering persons or property.
This requires a court appearance.....

However there is another statue:
39:3-44 Vehicle in unsafe condition $44
This does not require a court appearance.

Who made the decision later that the statute was 39:-4-97.2 rather than just 39:3-44 when the officer wrote "Unsafe Vehicle".?
It does not say operating or endangering or anything just "Unsafe Vehicle" with the statute no field left blank and court appearance required not checked.

Is there a way I can get the statue changed to the $44 fine because the ticket seems to match that violation rather than the one they sent me notice to appear?

Thanks in advance for any input...

M

Mike101

You best bet if you want to handle it yourself is to go to court and get it reduced. That will probably not be any problem to do.
The officer may have while going over the citation filled in the parts on the court copy that you said were not filled in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">