• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

troubledmom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri
My son was just arrested for a ticket he received in 1998. This was a ticket for driving with revoked license. He has been in and out of prison for the last 10 years. He has been convicted of driving with revoked license several times after the 1998 offense and has served time for these crimes. He is going to school now and trying to turn his life around and it seems things just keep coming back to haunt him. Any help with this would be so greatly appreciated!

FlyingRon

As soon as he received the ticket the statute of limitations ceased to matter. The fact he didn't pay it doesn''t go away.

It will continue to come back to haunt him as long as he doesn't deal with it and continues to violate the law by driving while revoked. You should help him obtain a lawyer to represent him on the original charge, face whatever sanctions are issued, and eventually get his license reinstated and STOP BREAKING THE LAW BY DRIVING WHILE IT IS STILL REVOKED.

troubledmom

He knows that. We can't understand why this charge didn't show up before his release so he could take care of it. He knows he has to stay out of trouble. As I said he is going to school and trying to get his life together. We had a lawyer for this offense and he continued it several times and my son was put in jail and that is why he COULDN'T go to court.

Maestro64

It showing up due to the new laws put in place that requires all police computer systems to be linked and share information. The ticket was probably from some small town and now that the systems are linked it is just now showing up. It always been there, just no one knew about it.

On Statue of Limitation, usually applies to identifying or charging a person within a period of time. In his case he knew about it so the charges were filed within probably the period of time allowed. As far as I know there is no limit on when you have to pay your debt to society.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">