• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of limitations?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

intension

N.Y.
I recently received a letter in the mail from the DMV stating that my license is about to be suspended. The ticket was for what they say was illegal tint on my windows, and I never showed up for my court date. The only problem that I have with this is, the ticket was back in August of 2000! Almost nine years ago! I am pretty sure that I paid the fine, but I do not have the receipt. Being nine years ago, I probably threw it out after a couple of years. Anyhow, my question is, is there a statute of limitations for this? It seems like a scam to me. Thanks for reading.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? :confused:

Maestro64

No limitation on the state collection their money if they feel you did not pay. The problem is the burden falls on you to prove it was paid. The states know this and know most people do not keep records back that far( interesting how that works). Also notice how the state is not required to provide you a receipt if you paid, some do but not required. If you paid by check you can ask your bank at the time if they still have records from that time period.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">