• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

benno

Is there a statute of limitations on speeding tickets? I received a speeding ticket while visiting in Tennessee. The officer pulled me over stating that I was speeding. My wife and I both told the officer he was wrong. I was doing the speed limit. I lived over 10 hours away and couldn't make it to the court date. Prior to that date, I had contacted the police dept. and spoke with the judge. The judge said for me to fight the ticket I had to show up for court. I agreed, but when I asked for a extension they denied it. Thereby making it where I couldn't attend.

Due to my stupidity, over time I forgot about it. I have not had a ticket in over four years and in my state my license is valid. What are my options? Please help...

TYRIS

if you failed to show up for court, then you probably have a warrant for your arrest out of that state. you're going to have to go back and take care of it and probably pay a nice fine.

TYRIS

S

Svarri

Same Situation!

Hello, while I arrived at my problem via someone using my license to aquire 3 separate tickets in 3 different counties, the fact remains that since 1997 none of them have been paid! I don't know how to handle this because it was'nt me who was given the tickets in either case but my brother. While I did know he had aquired my license(via renewal form) while I was living in another state and in school, I did'nt think he would get and not pay any tickets under my name til he got his own suspended license back. Thats my dilemma, so while I want to remedy the situation, I don't have the means to pay thousands of dollars in late fees for 3 tickets that originally cost about $1000. Also, I don't want to turn my brother in? My record was perfect before this and I know I'm part to blame. I hear about guys going to jail on the news and can't help but wonder if my doors gonna be kicked in oneday. I've never been in jail and have no record. I think I may try to get some kinda of payment plan for a small amount because It may be more of a hassle to try and go to court in 3 different counties and miss work and I have no car to get around on top of living in another state since this all happened. Does anyone know what the statute of limitations may be in N.J.? It would help in reducing some of the ridiculous surcharging! My brother is a dead beat and if I bet my life on him helping, I should make peace with the world before I lay down to sleep tonight. Help, anyone ???

Last edited:
B

benno

Statute of Limitations Reply

When I contacted the state of Tennessee. It seemed like mass confusion. Nobody knew who I could get in touch with.

At the time I lived in Missouri. I now live in Alabama and changed my license to here. I have seen my mvr and it looks spotless. Not only that I have always had insurance and my rates have never changed.

V

Vincent Cosent

Bounty hunters looking for you!!!!

It's kinda like cheating on taxes and never knowing when the irs is coming to get you. It's the fear that makes you behave. Anyone having nightmares yet?
Most, if not all states: Have no statute of limitations on traffic offenses. Or on a warrant for not showing up.
And will get you if your stopped in the state that has issued a warrant but will not generally come after you in another state.
However if your stopped in your current state they may hold you if they are aware of the warrant. So you criminals can live a life on the run with nightmares or turn yourselves in and sleep better in prison.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">