• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitations - Speeding Tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mqmichael

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

I recently moved to CT and when I tried to transfer my drivers license from PA, 2 speeding tickets from 1993 kept me from getting my license. I don't recall the details of the tickets, they were for speeding in MA and NJ.

No record appears on my PA driving record, but the national database has them listed.

My question is if there is a statute of limitations on speeding tickets? 16 years is a long time!

FlyingRon

Statute of limitations apply to the time before prosecution commences. You've been found guilty and sentenced. You'll have to contact the respective states and figure out how to clear their issues. Some states do give up trying to collect after a while, but many do not.

Maestro64

Welcome to the post 911 era....

Even if the state wrote these tickets off, they have been entering these old unpaid ticket into the national data base so when people move or renew they get cough up in mess. PA will not do anything unless the state formally files an unpaid ticket with the state. Most likely NJ or MA did not notify PA or you did not have PA license at the time, because I know NJ always notifies PA of unpaid tickets and PA would have come after you and made sure you paid.

As it was suggested, get the details of those ticket and get it cleared up otherwise you license will be held hostage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">