• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statute of limitations (suspended license)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sabine wimmer

What is the name of your state? colorado is there a statute of limitations on driving under suspension?

JETX

"is there a statute of limitations on driving under suspension?"
*** Yes. You can't drive a vehicle until the suspension is released. So, how long is your license suspended for??

S

sabine wimmer

reply to jetx

mine is not suspended. my friend was hit by a driver whos licence was suspended she made it for his first court date .she did not make it to the hearing she was to get restitution because the guy had no insurance. she never heard back from the state as far as what was to be awarded.so she wondered if there was a statute of limitations on collecting from this guy.but last she heard the guy was in jail and then she never heard anymore about it .it has been about two years since the accident.she had kind of forgotten about it .any suggestions on how to collect? or where to start? she thinks the guy may live out of state now.

JETX

"she did not make it to the hearing she was to get restitution because the guy had no insurance."
*** What makes her think that the state is going to handle this civil claim for her?? Did the drivers sentence include restitution??

"she never heard back from the state as far as what was to be awarded"
*** The state doesn't 'award' anything. She would have to file civil charges against the other driver, then get a judgment against him.

"it has been about two years since the accident."
*** If she hasn't started civil action by now, she may have lost that right due to Statute of Limitations expiration.

"any suggestions on how to collect?or where to start? she thinks the guy may live out of state now."
*** If she doesn't know where he is, then she has no way to do anything. If she can locate him AND if the statute of limitations hasn't expired, she can sue him and (hopefully) get a judgment.

S

sabine wimmer

restitution

restitution for colorado.
the victims advocate called to see if she would be satisfied with probation and restitution.I guess thats why she didn't think she had to sue him.So I guess she waited to long by now then to do anything about it.thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">