• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of limitations on tickets?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

HoratioHB

What is the name of your state? Arizona

In 1996 I was stopped for a broken taillight and was given a ticket for that, plus expired registratio, no insurance, and driving with a suspended driver's license from Washington State.

The following day, I received the exact same ticket.

Two weeks later, again, I received the exact same ticket.

Before you criticize me, I was 18 years old living on my own while in college away from home. So I was stupid.

With that said, right now there is a bench warrant in Arizona for failure to appear on the driving on suspended license which also carries a $862.00 fine. As well, the total fine for all of the tickets is at $5062.00 plus the $862.00.

I have paid the ticket in Washington State and cleared the suspension. However, Arizona suspended my driver's license (even though I did not have one in Arizona) and now I am in the National Registry as suspended and have not been able to obtain a license since 1996.

I have sent two letters to the Phoenix Mucipal Court explaing how stupid I was and how I married and tring to support a family and would like to find a way to clear up everything and get my license back without having to pay $6000.00 in fines.

Basically Phoenix told me to shove it each time and says I have to pay the fines AND appear in front of a judge in Arizona to clear everything up.

1) I don't have anywhere near that kind of money.

2) The thought of appearing before a judge in Arizona scares the **** out of me because and attorney in Arizona told me once that he had a simular case and the man paid the fines and they still threw him in jail.

I have a couple of questions:

1) Is there a statute of limitations on the traffic tickets?

2) Is there a statute of limitations on the suspension and bench warrant?

3) Is there anything else I can possibly do besides pay the tickets?

Thank you very much for anyone who can help me with this mess, I have tried for a long time to resolve this but have not gotten anywhere with the court systems.

racer72

1. No.
2. Again, no.
3. Some jurisdictions allow you to serve jail time or community service in lieu of fines. Others will work out payment plans and will lift any suspensions as long as the payments are made on time. Miss or be late once, the deal is off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">