• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statute of limitations on traffic violations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

themagician357

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I have unpaid driving under suspension tickets from 1993 and 1994 I need cleaned off my driving record to get my licence back. I owe over $3,000.00 in 4 different counties. I was told by Pa License Bureau I have to call each of the counties I owe money to and either pay those bills and get a receipt or work some kind of other deal with them. However, one county I called up I owe about $1000 to told me to come in and see the judge, since it is 10 years old , the judge would probably throw it out the clerk told me yesterday.

so if I go see that judge from traffic violations 10 years ago, 1993, can they still arrest me, if the judge decides not to throw away that case.

Also, since I was never served any papers on some of those traffic violations, all driving under suspension, isn't their some kind of statute of limitations on traffic violations 9 and 10 years ago in PA.

racer72

There are no SOL on traffic citations. You would only be arrested if there is a warrant for your arrest. In most cases the court appearance will quash the warrant, you are already in court, you do not need to be arrested to be brought to court.

Bravo8

Just to clarify, there is a 30 day SOL on traffic offenses. That simply means that the citations must be filed within 30 days of the offense. In your case, the citations were filed and you failed to respond. The warrants can last indefinitely, although there must be due diligence in attempting to apprehend you.

As Racer said, you don't need to be arrested and brought to court, as you are already there. You can, however, be sentenced to jail for not paying those old fines unless you have the money when you arrive. If you are able to pay, then they can't sentence you to jailtime.

My non-attorney advice would be to start a payment plan with each court (and stick to it...), that way they will rescind the warrants and you can get your driver's license re-instated. If you are on a payment plan, even without fully paying them back YET, you should be able to have your license re-instated (that is assuming you are not suspended for other reasons as well).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">