• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen drivers license recieving warrants when not the driver

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jacobmarcin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana
There is a speeding ticket in indiana from 2005, and one from michigan from 2007 that I have warrants out for not paying. I just found out about both of these, because I was going to get my license back, being that to my knowledge it had been suspended since 2002, and I never reinstated it. I have not driven since my license was suspended in 2002, and there is no possible way that it was me that got those two tickets. I don't know where to begin in fixing the problem, the courts say just pay the tickets and the warrants will be lifted, but on principal I would rather get a lawyer, and get this fixed than pay for something I did not do before it happens again. What options do I have?

I_Got_Banned

... Or find a solid alibi that you were not in those states on the dates and times those citations were issued and then after going through the schpeal of proving that you have been the victim of identity theft, the court may possibly dismiss the citations.

But... More importantly than two unpaid citations & in light of the depth of the identity theft problem nowadays, and assuming someone else has in fact been using your name or D/L #, I would RUN and check my credit reports if I were you.

If that person is willing to use your name & D/L # to give to an officer, (twice) my guess is that they'd have no issue using other I.D. info to apply for credit/benefits through the mail for example.

Hey There

A start

I've had two friends go through being charged with a citation not theirs due to computer gliches. In their case it took considerable effort to get the citatiions dropped but proved to be well worth the effort.
Copies of the tickets obtained from the police dept. they were issued from or the court they were filed with would prove helpful.
Some lawyers will give a one time consultation for no fee or a modest one which is an option. "How to choose a lawyer " searched on Google has websites with information on what to look for.

Good Luck on this.
Hey There

Maestro64

You are not the first one coming here saying a similar thing, as it was pointed out, you better check your credit history as well, since it sounds like someone stole your identify.

The next thing get copies of the ticket, it should have other information on it other then your DL # it should have make and model of car as well as the plate number. This should help you clear it up since it will tell you who owned the cars and if it was not your car then that helps you case along with showing you were never in those locations.

You will have an up hill battle on something like this since the state does not care if it was you or not they just want their money and at this point do not have to prove it was in fact you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">