• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stolen plates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

meekone23

What is the name of your state? Connecticut

What will happen to someone that is found driving an unregistered, uninsured vehicle inwhich the plates have been reported stolen??

meekone23

so they will arrest someone for driving a car with no license registration or insurance?? I heard theat these violations were really all ticketable, so the person would be let go, but the car may be towed. The reason I ask is because my ex has my plates, and of course I want them back. I told him he could keep the car, but I am not going to be the one to pay the taxes, and plus it's fraud. So I am trying to get out of this situation.

My plan is to cancel the registration by turning in the one plate that I do have. But I am not sure if I should report the other stolen.

Last edited:

JETX

meekone23 said:
so they will arrest someone for driving a car with no license registration or insurance??
ACTUALLY, no one can guess what WILL happen... only what MIGHT happen. Whether the person is arrested or not is entirely up to the officer based upon the circumstances at the time of the citation.
Your 'guess' that, as a minimum, the vehicle might be impounded is probably accurate.

My plan is to cancel the registration by turning in the one plate that I do have. But I am not sure if I should report the other stolen.
Depends largely on HOW he got it. If you allowed him to borrow it, then you can't report it as stolen.
I suggest you contact your state DMV and let them know that you have one plate and that the other has been 'lost or misplaced'. They will know how to handle it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">