• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stop sign citation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needadvice88

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I was cited for failing to come to a complete stop for a stop sign before turning left at a T intersection off a highway ramp. I did stop and look left (no cars in perceivable distance) and right (cop car in 70 yards) before turning. I was totally unaware of what I might have done wrong when I was pulled over. I got a "failure to use care starting/stopping" ticket, is that the same as stop sign violation? He told me verbally that I ran a stop sign, but I didn't. I intend to appeal, I wonder what I should say/do in court if he shows up? I mean if I say I didn't, and he says I did, his account of the incident will probably trump mine... am I out of luck? the ticket is only $20, but I intend to buy a new car this month... my insurance will shoot up sky high living in Boston, and won't come back down for 5 years.. why do cops screw people up like that? your advice is sincerely appreciated, thanks.

needadvice88

I did! there were no cars in either direction so I only stopped briefly, he was still far away from the right coming towards the T intersection, and there were no cars from the left. How did I "fail to use care starting/stopping"? I followed the rules and knew what I was doing before I made the turn. I was so surprised I got pulled over, I was like what have I done wrong? He didn't even come out of his car for 2 minutes after he pulled me over. When he told me, I kept arguing with him that I did not run the stop sign.
I feel so screwed for having to suffer this for 5 years, and having my car purchase plan ruined by this. I do not have evidence or witness to backup my words (we were the only cars on that road at that time), so I was just wondering if anyone had similar court experience for such citations and can advise me what I can do other than hoping for the cop not to show up.

The Occultist

This doesn't help you now, but I've always been advised to count to 3 after making a complete stop and prior to moving again; this helps prevent any amount of confusion on anybody's part.

Orcons

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I was cited for failing to come to a complete stop for a stop sign before turning left at a T intersection off a highway ramp. I did stop and look left (no cars in perceivable distance) and right (cop car in 70 yards) before turning. I was totally unaware of what I might have done wrong when I was pulled over. I got a "failure to use care starting/stopping" ticket, is that the same as stop sign violation? He told me verbally that I ran a stop sign, but I didn't. I intend to appeal, I wonder what I should say/do in court if he shows up? I mean if I say I didn't, and he says I did, his account of the incident will probably trump mine... am I out of luck? the ticket is only $20, but I intend to buy a new car this month... my insurance will shoot up sky high living in Boston, and won't come back down for 5 years.. why do cops screw people up like that? your advice is sincerely appreciated, thanks.
You don't give the citation but it sounds like you were cited for failing to yield when pulling out from the stop sign. You have to stop for the stop sign and then not pull out until there is enough room to do so. By turning left you would have pulled in front of the cop, he probably had to break to avoid an accident and that got you a ticket. If he didn't have to break it sounds a little ticky-tack but that doesn't get you out of the ticket. If you deny responsibility you will get a hearing before a clerk magistrate with the officer not there. It would only be if you lose there and appeal that you would have to confront him.

File a freedom of information act request to get his notes and see what you can do with that. If this is your only ticket it won't have a major effect on your insurance. Look up the rules on the Mass SDIP to see what might happen to your insurance costs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">