• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stop Sign violation...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JyRO

What is the name of your state? Alabama.

This morning I followed an Alabama State Trooper (at a safe distance) for 5 miles down a 2 lane until we approached a stop sign. The intersection was a T intersection, where the officer and I were having to turn to the right or left. Generally all traffic turns right at this intersection.

He proceeded through it 1st, then it was my turn. This is one of those intersections that you have to creep past the stop sign to see the oncoming traffic from the left. Its not a 90 degree intersection, actually turning to the right is not as sharp as turning to the left would be.

Anyway, I crept up to the point where I could see left and gingerly eased out of the intersection. With absolutely no exaggeration, I had to be down to 1 mph as I crept forward, and then eased on to the accelerator. There was absolutely no "sport" type of driving. I was in no hurry, I'm 32 years old, and was driving a Corolla, following a LEO. Under those cirmcumstances I think most would realize I was not driving in the least bit unsafely. At the same time as I almost stopped, he was going forward watching me in his mirror. As I exited the intersection he turned on his lights and stopped, then pointed to the right. After some confusion on my part, we both eased off the road on the right, with him in front of me, with his lights going. He proceded to begin the revenue collections procedure.

So, my court date is 9/21/04. I'm wondering what my best options are to either a) *try* get out of the ticket, or b) have it dismissed, or c) is a deferment a worth option in this case. I will admit it, I didn't fully stop. If the speedometer were digital, it probably would've flashed 0, I was going so slow. Honestly, I think the dude was just in a bad mood, and was looking for some one to play a power trip on. That's the breaks. But guilty nonetheless.

Can anyone help me with a, b, & c above? Any questions, comments, suggestions, and/or concerns are welcomed. Thanks.

- JyRO

n_and

I will admit it, I didn't fully stop.
Then why waste your time? You didn't FULLY stop. You were at a stop sign.

You should stop for a full 5 seconds before proceedeing. If it's 'one of those stop signs' then you STOP, and then creep up to see oncoming traffic.

Pay the stupid ticket - it's what, a $50.00 fine?

T

tunnrok

Stop Sign Violation

Kansas
When I was 16 and prior to getting a driver's license (summer of 1996) I ran a stop sign on a bicycle. I ran the stop sign so i didn't contest it. It was like $30 for the ticket. I gave the money to my dad to pay the fine. He pocketed the money and it never got paid. A little more than a year later I found out there was a bench warrant for my arrest. I went to the very first open court forum they held. I spoke to the judge he laughed about it being a ticket on a bicycle, told me to pay court costs and I would be done. I went directly to the court clerk and paid something like $40. I got a driver's license shortly after paying the fine with out any trouble. Then in October of 2003, I was applying to get a CDL and the clerk told me there was another license in my name. After calling around for awhile I was told that it was because of that original ticket. Since I didn't have a driver's license they issued a "mock" license number and suspended it. They said that I owed a $50 reinstatement fee on the other license before I could get my CDL. I went to the clerk and paid the $50. Come to find out they merged the two numbers into one account (the license i've had over the years) so according to my drivering record it's showing that from summer of 96 till October of '03 my license was suspended. I just would like to know if there is any way to get that removed or revised. I am a professional driver and it is effecting my job eligability.

tunnrock -- if you can't get that one fixed, I'd call a news crew to see if they can help, that's a wild story of the system not working...

JyRO -- if a LEO is in site, always follow the laws to the letter, it is a form of respect. Troopers are usually pretty cool but it sounds like you were just given a driving lesson for what ever reason.

If you have time to play, you might be able to get it negotiated down to a non-moving when you go to court.

Shay-Pari'e

Robbie0723 said:
tunnrock -- if you can't get that one fixed, I'd call a news crew to see if they can help, that's a wild story of the system not working...

JyRO -- if a LEO is in site, always follow the laws to the letter, it is a form of respect. Troopers are usually pretty cool but it sounds like you were just given a driving lesson for what ever reason.

If you have time to play, you might be able to get it negotiated down to a non-moving when you go to court.
A new's crew? For what?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">