• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stop Sign Violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Virginia (Arlington,VA was where ticket was issued)

I was given a ticket for not coming to a full stop at a stop sign, but I am confused as to why the code for the violation on the ticket is listed as 46.2-833 (which refers to traffic lights and not stop signs). I would think that a failure to stop at a stop sign would fall under 46.2-830? Is it worth arguing the fact that the officer didn't document the ticket correctly with the right code and that they were not in an attentive state when witnessing the violation and issuing the ticket.

Thank you,

Gadfly

It it "listed" or checked on a list of options? It may be an alignment problem if it's from a list and you'll need to see the orig.

Just as an update the ticket was reduced to a warning. Basically the judge heard the officer and declared guilty. I told her that the information was incorrect on the ticket and she said she would just amend the ticket with the right code for failing to stop at a stop sign. She then was having trouble locating the code so I told her it was one of two codes and she wound up changing her mind and just giving me a warning. Basically it seems that if wrong information is on a ticket the biggest factor in getting out of the ticket is the judge's mood. Be prepared, speak well and be courteous and you might sway the judge...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">