• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stop Sign Violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

massgirl

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I was driving in New Jersey at that time.

We had been driving since over 2 hours, so we ask the GPS to take us on a detour to a place to eat. We enter a small town, in which the streets are all dark, and we are lost apart from a GPS to give us directions. Suddenly a cop car pulls us over, and the cop tells me I did not stop at a STOP sign.

Honestly, I do not remember even seeing a stop sign. I know I stopped at all the intersections to see if they were clear before proceeding. But maybe I did not stop completely at wherever the STOP sign was. The fine is 86$. But it isn't the fine that worries me, its just insurance and having a moving violation. This is my first 'violation'....

Should I appeal this? I will have to drive down to NJ for it. But is there a chance? Any advise will be much appreicated.

Also, should I get a court attorney or do this myself?

seven53

What is there to "appeal"? You said you didn't see the stop sign. Can't argue that you came to a stop at something you don't recall seeing. I think hiring an attorney is going to cost a whole lot more than $86 to be found guilty.

Contact the prosecutor and ask if the court will accept a non-point plea. About the only chance you have IMO.

FlyingRon

DMV points mean squat to the insurance company. Any violation they get they will score their own way. The person to ask is your insurance company.

Don't go to court in Valkenvania.

massgirl

Thank you guys for the advise. I will not be appealing this afterall.

Its easier to just pay up, especially when i have no point to argue about....!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">