• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stop Sign Violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bennysbud

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky/Ohio
I am a KY resident and I just received a ticket in Ohio for failing to stop at a stop sign (I did not see the sign, but that doesn't matter in the least bit at this point). I undertand that Ohio only dismisses speeding tickets for out of state residents, but no other traffic violations. So this means I will have 3points (as Ohio reports to KY and the points assigned to that violation in KY is 3) added to my license for the violation.

I've called the originating court in Ohio to see if I could attend Traffic School to reduce points and to try to avoid an insurance rate hike. They informed me that they did not do this, that I could not take a course for this in Ohio. I researched some info on the Internet and found somewhere that stated I could possibly take a course in my home state, if the court judge (from originating court where ticket was issued) gave me permission.

I called KY DMV and asked about this and I was told that this was not an option. They said that the State Traffic School course would not appear on my record, I guess since the violation didn't occur in KY. She said there was pretty much nothing I could do to other than pay the ticket on time and have the 3 points added to my record.

Is there ANYTHING that I can do to avoid having points added to my record? I've basically had a clean driving record since I began driving more than 20 years ago and would like to maintain that and to avoid receiving an insurance rate hike. I've been told there's nothing I can do to avoid this and I'd like to confirm that if that's true with an Ohio attorney. I'm willing to do whatever it takes, but if there is nothing I can do, would like to drop this matter, pay the fine and get on with normal business.

Thank you for any advice you can provide.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Kaden

I would say that the only option is go to court and bring a copy of your full 20 year record, not just that last five years. the judge might give you a break and the ticket never hit your home state. The courts look favorably of a long clean record. Nothings guaranteed but its worth a try.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">