• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stop Sign Violation - I Stopped, there was traffic ahead of me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonGoff

Jenks, Oklahoma

I got a ticket for not coming to a complete stop.

This interestion is a four-way stop, and there was plenty of traffic at 4:00 in the afternoon. When I arrived at the intersection, there were two or three cars ahead of me - and several at the other three corners. One at a time, each car ahead of me waited their turn then proceeded. When it was my turn, I safely made a right turn. I may not have come to a complete stop at the sign, but I had already stopped several times before getting to the sign. Like I said, traffic was busy (irrelivant, I know), and this is just the way traffic flows at a busy four way. When you are at the front of the line, GO! I did nothing dangerous or unusual in any way at all.

Since I stopped more than once while waiting my turn, do I have a defense?

Furthermore, about 100 yards after the right at the stop sign, I had to stop at a traffic light. I waited for the green arrow then turned left. I drove one mile across a bridge to another red traffic light. Waited for that light to turn green and then proceeded with another left turn. At this point I have entered a different city, but this is when po-po hit the lights for the stop sign violation a mile-and-a-half back. So, he was out of his jurisdiction when he issued the citation. Does this have any relevance? He said his lights were on as he followed me across the bridge, but that is total bull. I saw the cop, I thought nothing of any of it until he actually did hit the lights.

Thanks,

seniorjudge

I may not have come to a complete stop at the sign, but I had already stopped several times before getting to the sign.
You admit you were guilty.

The cop says he followed you with the lights on.

How do you think this will turn out?

JonGoff

:cool:

Okay, without admitting guilt,

"I had already stopped several times before getting to the sign. "

If I stopped three times within 15 yards of the intersection, isn't that sufficient stoppage???

seniorjudge

If I stopped three times within 15 yards of the intersection, isn't that sufficient stoppage???

This is the funniest joke I have heard today.

Thanks for brightening my day!

:)

JonGoff

Oh, excuse me. I thought I would be receiving useful insight, from considerate, thoughtful forum members.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You did not properly stop. You have admitted guilt (to us).

Last edited by a moderator:

seniorjudge

I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were serious.

cyjeff

Sorry, I thought it was a joke, too.

No, it was not sufficient stoppage.

When it was your turn at the sign, you were to come to a complete stop, look both ways and then proceed into traffic when safe.

You might want to try some bran for that stoppage, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">