• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stop Sign Violation in Lake Tahoe

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Anthony717

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

So last week i was on vacation with 6 of my friends up near tahoe and we decided we were going to go into nevada on our last night there. So on the way back on highway 89 my friend asked me to drive because he was tired. So i did not thinking anything of it. We were almost back and I realized I didnt have my license on me. Anyways, we were coming down a grade to a junction that connects 89 to 88. it was around 11:00 pm and there was a stop sign at the bottom of the hill. So i applied the brakes coming to the stop sign. realizing i wasnt going to stop in time i downshifted the SUV and the ABS turned on wen i was right at the stop sign therefore not stopping b4 the line and completly crossing and turning right at the same time then i came to a stop. I was not used to driving a big Chevy Suburban SUV with 1000lbs in passengers on board and my judgment of how well the truck stops was bad because i had yet on the whole way back needed to come 2 a complete stop. CHP officer had already pulled someone else over and he saw this happen so he flagged me down. He then asked me for my license which i didnt have. so he told me 2 pull ahead till he was done. He then comes tells me to get out of the car and put my hands on the hood of his car. Then he tells me he smelled pot when we drove by. I thought that was funny because there was none to be found and i was really curious on what he really smelled. He then performed a sobriety test. passed it because i wasnt under the influence. Puts me in back his car, and does the rest to my friends. Searched the car. found nothing because there was nothing to be found. Told me i was going to jail because i didnt have my license but my friends confirmed who i was so he didnt take me. Lastly he let us all go but he told me he was going to send me the ticket in the mail. He took my picture and we were off.

Also i received the ticket today. Ticket states that "Complaint Filed due to lack of Citation"

Also where it says "without admitting guilt..." the signature says "Complaint to be filed"

What should I do? Thanks 4 your help

Last edited:

I_Got_Banned

Also i received the ticket today. Ticket states that "Complaint Filed due to lack of Citation"

Also where it says "without admitting guilt..." the signature says "Complaint to be filed"
Not sure if I understand what happened there... Did you receive an actual citation (a "Notice To Appear")? Does it have a vehicle code section that you are being charged with violating? And does it have a court appearance date on it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">