• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stop sign violation wrong

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

emurphy1

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I was pulled over by a local police officer in Wood River about two hours ago for disobeying a stop sign. Here's what went down:

I was coming into town, westbound on Ferguson Ave. There are no stop signs for several blocks until you come to Ferguson and Wood River Ave. I was behind another car, so I slowed down and stopped, at this time I saw the cruiser come behind me with his lights on. The car in front of me left the stop sign, so I rolled to it, saw the cop had his lights on, and left the stop sign pulling over to the side of the street, and he started to follow me. I realized at this time that he was really going to pull me over. There were a lot of cars on the street, so I motioned over with my hand, signaled a right turn, and turned right onto Haller St, where I stopped.

I was so in shock I forgot to turn off the car. The police officer got out with his partner, asked me to stop the car. Asked where I keep insurance, because I hadn't gotten that out yet either. I gave it to him, asked him why he had pulled me over, and he said "You didn't even pretend to stop at that stop sign back there," or something to that effect. I asked where, and he said Wood River & Haller. I told the officer that the sign where he pulled me over was the first one I had seen in several blocks, and he said that he had to get through traffic to pull me over. When he was back at his cruiser, a car pulled up along him and told him there was a fire a few streets away. So when the police officer came back, I told him that I was confused as to where he saw me miss the stop sign. He said that he had to get to this fire, and left.

I'm looking at the citation, and he wrote down Wood River & Haller. Those are parallel streets, therefore no stop sign. Can I get this ticket thrown out? Or if I can't, is there an option to plead no contest or something, because there is no way in hell I'm guilty.

justalayman

if you did not run a stop sign at those two streets intersection, I would simply plead not guilty and show the judge a map to prove those streets do not intersect. That, along with your rendition of the events (the officer did not take time to clarify the situation before leaving) may get it tossed. I presume the officer made a simple error but how can you defend yourself when what you were cited with is impossible. (at least in our current 3D world and its associated physics. maybe when we can figure out how the 4th dimension would affect your scenario, I wouldn't contest it though. Now, don;t even get me started on the 5th Dimension. I never understood all that "Age of Aquarius" stuff.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">